Title - where to find a copy?

MR16

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi
Need som help
I have a 1978 XS, imported to Norway in 2006. Now ready for registration in Norway. But i'm only one document away, from getting the license plate... The Title... Can anyone help me with an idea of where i can get a copy or a confirmation that the bike is exported from USA?.
Thks
Morten /Arendal /Norway

United states titling doesn't exist, every state titles the vehicles sold there. There is no central record keeping for anything as old as an XS650. Like Marty is hinting, without knowing what state it came from you cannot "find" a title from the US Even if you know the state, privacy laws prevent you from finding a previous owner.
WAY back in the day the Wisconsin DMV clerks, with a wink and a nod would let us go in the "records" room and find the owner from a license plate number, but those days are long gone.

Some VIN ranges are country specific, as models had to meet different requirements to be legal in the various countries.

It is almost imposable to get a title for what you have. I fight with the title department all the time. Like said any bike over 20 years old is not in the system anymore and the only way you can get a title would be from a title company that would get a title in your behalf. Now saying that I don't know if they would do it for you because you don't have a legit address in the USA. BUT give it a try here is the web site
MOTO RECYCLE TITLE COMPANY
https://www.motorecyclenow.com/title-service.html

From your position, you have to think of USA as 50 separate countries. Each has it's own set of laws when it comes to these matters. So, your issue is between the State of Colorado and Norway. You should first do all you can in Norway. See if there is any way to title the bike without involving a foreign country. The DMV in Colorado may, or may not be any help to you. Some states do not require any title on a vehicle that old. Colorado could possibly be one of them? If that was the case, would it help you? As Gary pointed out, the VIN will likely point to the market that the machine was originally exported to. There are ways to obtain titles in various states, but each has it's own requirements. So, you had best know exactly what Norway will require. After that, since you're across the pond, a recommendation like Daddy G's is probably your next step.

And one problem I can foresee is just because the motorcycle was sold by someone in Colorado there is no guarantee it was ever titled or licensed there. I mean I have a 1978 that was last titled in New York, not in my name, but if for some reason I was to move to say Minnesota and take the bike with me and then a couple years latter sell it on Ebay with no title how would anyone know where it was titled last? Also being this motorcycle is even in a different country so it seems to be even a bigger challenge.

Guess that is what the title companies are for, no idea how or what they actually do in a case like that.

All I can say is good luck to MR16!

Guess that is what the title companies are for, no idea how or what they actually do in a case like that.

As we said, it depends. I'm in Mississippi. I can get a bonded title from an insurance agent. Or, I can get one from a licensed dealer. Or, my county tax agent can grant me one, since I brought my junk from Georgia, and Georgia does not require a title. In Pennsylvania, you must have the piece of paper, no matter what. A title company should have all this knowledge in their database, plus the necessary connections to do the job. At least, I hope that is the case, as I have never had to use one.

you can register a vehicle in the state of Vermont without living there or ever taking the vehicle there.

I live in California, I’ve done it a few times for old bikes without titles.

Once I got the title from Vermont - I’d take it to the CA dmv and transfer it to a CA title and registration.

A lot of title companies go this route.

maybe you can get a Vermont title in your name and that would suffice. Or if you know anyone who lives in the US that may be willing to do it on your behalf and then just send you the title that’s in their name signed over to you as the new owner.

isn’t the DMV fun!

There are only a couple states that a title company can work with. The posted one I put there is Vermont and I have gotten many titles from them . His problem will be Usa address . So best bet would be contact them and see if they can help you out. Otherwise you just have a unusable frame.

Have you done a VIN search and see when the bike was last titled. In Virginia, the last person to have the bike titled can get a replacement title at the DMV for $10.00.

Question for MR16. What paperwork did you get with the bike?
Receipt,
Question for MR16. What paperwork did you get with the bike?
Hi
Receipt, is the only paper i’ve seen .. the rest is papers from the Norwegian customs. The bike is customs cleared , and all taxes paid by previous owner in Norway. So pretty frustrated because of this document

Hi , thks for reply :)
It was sold from this Company:
Franklin Cycle Sales
2825 First Avenue, Greeley ,CO 80631 352-6992
I`t looks like its closed down..so i cant mail them for info …

Hi MR16,
could you copy the paper trail that links your XS650 to that CO dealership and send all of it to the Norwegian Customs Nazis?

Hi MR16,
could you copy the paper trail that links your XS650 to that CO dealership and send all of it to the Norwegian Customs Nazis?
Hi fredintoon
Thks for Your reply :)
I`m so thankful for all information regarding this issue.
Yes i`m soon starting a cut and paste job, to make a document to show the registration Office (NCN :) )
Hopefully they will feel sorry for me and grant me the licence plate, crossing fingers... again thk`s so much.

Back