To build a Sport Touring XS650

I fit into the category of sport touring motorcyclist. I can't say the xs650 is anything remotely close to what I would describe as sport touring.

On an xs650 in anything close to stock form, you would be lucky to keep up with a good rider on a modern sport touring bike for more than about 2 minutes.

At the end of a 7 day trip with friends on proper sport touring bikes, you'd probably be 2 days behind.

For me, touring on the XS wasn't about "getting there fast", but about the ride. My '75 took me to both coasts several times, and through most provinces in Canada, with no problems. I agree that a "proper" sport tourer is more comfortable (I ride an R1100RS now), faster, and better suited, but the XS still brings back great memories. Just stay off the super slab.

When I bought My first XS 650, out of a local trader paper, for $250 I was thrilled. It had good tires, tags, and ran fine. It was a 74, I think. A young couple from Germany had bought it in Dallas. They rode it , 2 up , with camping gear from Dallas, to San Francisco, up the coast to Canada, across Southern Canada. Then, down the East Coast, across the southern US, and back here to Amarillo, Texas. They were leaving to go back to Germany, and wanted the bike to have a good home. It is not a touring bike, but they didnt know any better. I guess it worked for Them.:bike::bike:

On an xs650 in anything close to stock form, you would be lucky to keep up with a good rider on a modern sport touring bike for more than about 2 minutes.

At the end of a 7 day trip with friends on proper sport touring bikes, you'd probably be 2 days behind.

And I would want to keep up because?

Are we talking about touring or racing long distances? If the goal is to drive at insane speeds then the XS 650 hasn't a chance but if the goal is to tour then I suggest you understand the definition of tour:

"1.
pleasure trip: a trip visiting several places, usually taken for pleasure
performing trip: a long series of performances in different places, e.g. by a rock band or a theater company
"The band are on tour at the moment."
team trip: a series of games or tournaments played by the same sports team in different locations
brief trip to see something: a short trip or visit for the purpose of viewing or inspecting something
period of duty: a period of military duty, especially in a specific place or for a fixed length of time"

You'll notice the definition of tour makes no mention of going fast, racing, or getting there quickly. "Sport/Touring" is really nothing more than word play. Oh sure, motorcycle manufacturers can call their bikes anything they like but motorcycle manufacturers don't write dictionaries.

So ask yourself, can an XS650 meet the definition above and is that what you want to do on your motorcycle? If yes, then yes, you'll be very happy touring on an XS650. If no, then buy something really fast and try to avoid crashing into a truck.

I gave one of my XS650 to an old friend today who is down on his luck (laid off) and had to let his new sport/touring bike go to the repo man-- he didn't ask but the thought of leaving him behind after riding together for 35 plus years was something I didn't want to see. I promise you we'll have a blast touring around come Spring and we won't mind going slow.

I'm not saying you can't tour on it, but to venture and call it "sport tourer" is a stretch.

I do quite a bit of "sport touring", with an emphasis on sport. A sport touring motorcycle these days will go faster in first or second gear than an xs650 will do flat out in 5th gear. My current bike will outrun it in first gear.

Call it what you want, but "sport" isn't one of them.

The OP (remember him?) knows exactly what an XS650 is and I am pretty sure I understand what he means by a Sport touring XS650. By the way a sport touring fairing makes a lot of sense on an XS650 since it doesn't have a lot of reserve power to push a big ole barndoor fairing. I would guess that Europe has plenty of "sport tourers" in the 250 to 500cc range marketed and sold by the big 4. Sport doesn't have to mean pavement shredding power.

To actually be helpful the old Vetter rooster fairing is in the nieghborhood of what you might be thinking..... there's one on fleabay Item number:160538351039

Rifle made (makes?) a nice handlebar fairing too.
00013M.JPG

Just be aware of handling issues with a handlebar mounted fairing on a small bike.

I admit this was an bit of an ill conceived endeavor. I was realy after the look and an occsional road trip. You folks took the ST title too literal. If I can cruise on the highwar at 70 - 80 mph that would allow me to travel with the big boys. BMW F650 GS a 650 single does a good job criss crossing the continent with about the same power as an XS650. I appreciate all the suggestions for a faring, but nothing realy likes right to me. The only middle weight bike I could identify with is the Yamaha FJ600. So I think I either need to get one of these or steal the body work and adapt it to the XS.

Well first, realistically you can only do about 250 miles a day, 300 max. I have averaged 350-400 but it makes you pretty sore in the shoulders and butt. Take ibuprofen. Stay hydrated. Avoid the interstates. What's the hurry? I would get the 32 tooth rear sprocket. You will not want the Special buckaroo bars but the Euro or Daytona ones. I'd send the seat to Sargent. I'd upgrade to the Sparx Permanent Magnet Magneto and put some sort of electronic ignition on it. The fairings all look geeky so try a windshield of some kind. Take a spare clutch cable, some tools, and a quart of oil. You should be fine. Don't camp! Go to a nice motel, have a hot shower, and go to a good restaurant. Enjoy the ride and stop and see everything that interests you because you don't know when you'll be there again. And think seriously about a KLR or DL650 VStrom.

My 78 xs650 has a Sparx, Boyer, upgraded front brakes, Spitfire tires,re-sculptured seat in leather, and new stainless Buchanon spokes. I would ride this to any destination in the USA. I have owned two KLR's fine machines for $5000 and I have put 1200 mile week-ends to Baja on both of them. For me an 800 mile day is with in reach on my XS. Tony C.

You guys are animals. When I moved to where I live now, I came on my R90 BMW. 1000 mi weekends to go see the better half til we sold the house. I was young then. 800 miles a day in a car with air and cruise would tire me now. Buncha masochists.

I ran a full-sized Vetter Windjammer for the last 2 winters. Great protection, but damn it's big! I picked up an old Concours as a winter bike, love it's fairing but it's warm in the summer. I've often thought an XS with that style fairing would be my perfect bike. Can someone photoshop a FJ600 fairing onto an XS?

I ran a full-sized Vetter Windjammer for the last 2 winters. Great protection, but damn it's big! I picked up an old Concours as a winter bike, love it's fairing but it's warm in the summer. I've often thought an XS with that style fairing would be my perfect bike. Can someone photoshop a FJ600 fairing onto an XS?

I'm new to fairings and was wondering if someone could list the advantages/disadvantages of frame mounted vs front end mounted fairings.

Also, Craig Vetter is still selling replacement parts for his old Windjammers and is planning to set up an online exchange where Windjammer owners and buyers can buy and sell all their Windjammer stuff.

Here's mine (and yes it's sport touring :wink2:) I don't want cafe, chopper, bobber, or anything else. This bike is put together for touring.:
NewImagec.jpg

Classic, Is that an old LTD seat? Now that I got rid of the buckhorns on my Special I'm thinking I need a different seat that keeps me farther to the front of the seat.

All I know is that it's a Corbin. Picked it up form another forum member last season. It is less padded than the stock seat but the lower position is easier on my back. Don't have to lean forward so much (I'm 6'1).

Solved my Sport Touring itch. Couldn't find an economical XS650 to build from so I went the easy way out. Barber Museum here I come.

IMG_2132.jpg

I look forward to going to Barber every year during their Vintage Festival in October. They probably have half of the bikes they own on display, which I was told is over 1200! The Vintages races and swap meet meet area is a lot of fun. Bought some repair manuals last year cheap. :thumbsup:
Nice bike.

Last edited:
Back