To much blinking

wingman1946

1978 XS 650e
Reaction score
Blinkers all blinking on command, just to fast. Reasons for this would be helpfull. Already have fairly new electronic flasher. All lights are stock with new bulbs.

Hi wingman,
you sure that's an electronic flasher?
My experience is that although the stock flasher will flash faster with more load an electronic flasher will have the same cadence regardless of how many lights it's flashing.
Even when Mr Stupid hooked up the black ground wire instead of the dark brown signal wire to give the flasher a dead short (hey, it was dark inside that headlight bucket) it pulsed at the same rate.
For 3 clicks before the fuse blew.

Hi wingman,
you sure that's an electronic flasher?
My experience is that although the stock flasher will flash faster with more load an electronic flasher will have the same cadence regardless of how many lights it's flashing.
Even when Mr Stupid hooked up the black ground wire instead of the dark brown signal wire to give the flasher a dead short (hey, it was dark inside that headlight bucket) it pulsed at the same rate.
For 3 clicks before the fuse blew.
You are absolutely right. Forgot I changed it back to a 552. So how does it sound now?

Hi wingman,
after I swapped the wires back to where they should have been my electronic flasher worked just fine. The fuse did it's job.
So what's a 552? Presumably an old fashioned thermal flasher?
If it was meant to flash at the normal rate when operating the usual 22W signal bulbs it'll flash like a bastard when operating the XS650's stock 27W signal bulbs.

Hi wingman,
after I swapped the wires back to where they should have been my electronic flasher worked just fine. The fuse did it's job.
So what's a 552? Presumably an old fashioned thermal flasher?
If it was meant to flash at the normal rate when operating the usual 22W signal bulbs it'll flash like a bastard when operating the XS650's stock 27W signal bulbs.
OK the 552 is q typo for 522 sorry. And yes I do have new bulbs that appear to be 27 watt'. Are there 22 watt bulbs still available? I did not see them at Mike's or on E-Bay. How about a different flasher that like the 27 watt bulbs?

Last edited:
You can still get an original flasher from Yamaha. They're only like $78, lol. Maybe I'm just lucky. I've never had to change out a flasher on a Yamaha. But this is one part I specifically look for and save from parts bikes I get since I know Yamaha considers them made from gold. The only one I did ever need to change out was on a BMW, and I just happened to have a spare from a parts bike.

Just buy a Tridon HD12, which is an electro-mechanical type. It works on capacitor charge time, not on load resistance from the bulbs. That means its not sensitive to the number or size of bulbs you use.

With the stock type thermal flashers, if the idle drops off slightly at an intersection, allowing the voltage to drop down, the flasher would stop flashing, which is dangerous.
With the HD12, that won't happen. It will flash at 11 volts or 12 volts or 13 volts or 14 volts.

I've used the HD12 for about 4 years now and its works perfect with the stock #1156 bulbs.

Back