Too much chop?

rider119

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Kinda wanting to do a drop seat'ish brat bike but not sure, opinions?
New seat rails at the tape line?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 335
I'd like to ride an XS that has a well designed drop seat with a rear suspension. For my 6' 3" frame where to put the foot pegs is a big concern. I think that once you are seated fully upright and move pegs forward the suspension quality has to be top notch because any jarring goes straight to the riders back, which for me ain't what it used to be.

Here's how I did mine:

byrebega.jpg

Real similar to the Visual Impact kit but I built it myself. You'll notice that the seat position is close to as low as you had mocked up but the spring mounts are still high. They could actually be higher. In my opinion what you don't want is a low seat on the frame, but high off the ground because your bike is still way high. If you can get the seat mounting lower while lowering the the stance also it's a win win. I lowered the seating position on my bike 6+ inches from the stock seat. I an 5' 11" with long legs and had no problems, of course I like mid mounts for rideability.

Here's how I did mine:

byrebega.jpg

Real similar to the Visual Impact kit but I built it myself. You'll notice that the seat position is close to as low as you had mocked up but the spring mounts are still high. They could actually be higher. In my opinion what you don't want is a low seat on the frame, but high off the ground because your bike is still way high. If you can get the seat mounting lower while lowering the stance also it's a win win. I lowered the seating position on my bike 6+ inches from the stock seat. I am 5' 11" with long legs and had no problems, of course I like mid mounts for rideability.

If you are looking for performance tuned suspension disregard everything I just said. My bike had Rebel shocks on it which are incredibly stiff because of the mounting position and angle they utilize in their stock application. So while it had looks, it rode worse than a hardtail IMO.

What you have there looks pretty good...

I built mine myself too... i cut out as much as i could while keeping the bent tube on the left side of the bike in line... The frame on my 79 was asymmetrical ... if i cut too much off i would have had to move the shock mount or modify it...

I would just keep in mind shock travel... that my only regret... as i have to run a little taller shock than i would have liked to get clearance... Its too bad im against struts...

xs+650+brat+0003.jpg

Brat+Riding+xs+650+002.jpg

xs+650+brat+0013.jpg

xs+650+brat+0009.jpg

I'm 6'3" as well so I'm concerned with the ridability of the bike for me. Nice bikes, but I'm looking at putting the front of the seat rails further down, below the gusset that is on the curve of the backbone of the frame.

On these builds, is there a cross brace placed between the shock towers?

When i did mine i welded the rear loop back on behind the seat... so my loop acts as the cross brace... but i dont have anything beyond that...

Mine was dont like this from the PO, the frame was chopped as well
through. The wheel ended up hitting the frame so be careful of that.
(I've now hardtailed the frame)

Attachments

• DSC06985.jpg
    DSC06985.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 257
Since you're tall, if you drop your seat that low your knees are going to be in your chest. I'm as tall as you and did the VI kit, and feel that I'm just too big for the bike now.

Here's one that has a mild drop seat. It almost looks as if the stock shock mounts are in the same place
xs650_01_001_zps6875cdee.jpg

A lot of the bratstyle inspired bikes look really cool in a lot of the pics, but these bikes seem to get really small once they are chopped up.

Back