Tool Kit , factory original

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys, today I drug out the original tool kit that came with my XS2 for the first time since I brought my bike home. I thought I’d give them a good cleaning, maybe start carrying them on my bike since I’ve been venturing a little further from home.
This is what I started with, this is after cleaning them! The tool pouch is soaking in degreaser.
EB3C7A72-84AE-4E80-A717-FA8CB8FAB364.jpeg

And what I wound up with, the pouch looks as though it was meant to have a strap that goes around it to close it. All the others have snaps. I seem to be missing a lot.
BDAE5BC6-0C3D-4F4C-A439-DD0BBBCF2D47.jpeg

Most of the wrenches seem wrong, I don’t have the Allen wrenches, missing screwdriver tips. My spark plug wrench seems wrong.

6152AC5E-79EC-4DCE-A35A-3CB364CE0C99.jpeg

I found this, posted by 2M, and my tools, for the most part, are nothing like these.
7DC2E1BC-709D-4EE3-B185-CBF00543ABFD.jpeg

While searching the forum I found a few examples.
FED8B22C-415F-406F-AF6A-7E0125827D14.jpeg
CE40D1E5-9169-4A22-A1CB-B1D4BB2CDE08.jpeg
EAD78DA2-6664-4868-8767-6EA1AC74F80C.jpeg
A2BEC06F-DA81-4F32-A351-FA93C949C623.jpeg
BF662E36-AE9B-429F-B7B3-9A809631DCFC.jpeg
0DD2F7C2-084E-4C08-A02D-1902E13E34E9.jpeg
E97E6F1E-8E6F-4AA3-988D-F7CB74E69AE6.jpeg

looks as though it was meant to have a strap that goes around it to close it.
Digging way back in the cobwebbed grey matter... I seem to recall it was just blue or black cotton cloth strap.

Just tied in a bow? I thought it might have been a slim nylon strap and buckle affair. But your thought seems vaguely familiar.m

Oh I know I could, and have in the past, assemble a much better tool kit than that. I’m not even sure if I like these tools for working on a bike on the side of the road.
Just interested

Feeler gauges to check valve clearances with ? Tools to remove a float bowl roadside Incase a valve/seat get a grit in it ?

The Yamaha stamped 13 and 17mm wrench, at a pawn shop I saw the same wrench stamped Mercedes. I always kick myself for not buying it, when this subject comes up.

Oh I know I could, and have in the past, assemble a much better tool kit than that. I’m not even sure if I like these tools for working on a bike on the side of the road.
Just interested

At times i have done jobs on the bike using the kit because they are there.............be surprised how well they work, the fits are nice and the leverage in the spanner with the extra bar for the rear ale nut is more than sufficient.........

Noticed you have a pic of the tool kit i have...........what i did do was add an extra set of adjustable pliers, another open end spanner to add to the sizes already there, that also doubled up on one of the sizes........still all fitted into the kit bag.
Original.......................................Extra pliers/open end spanner.....................All fit
copywrite P1110315.jpg Copywrite P1110335.jpg copywrite P1110337.jpg
Nothing that can't be done with this lot

I keep a toolroll in my tankbag. Mostly factory wrenches and screwdriver. The crosstip is JIS and fits the screws well. I added some fuel line, electrical wire and a Leatherman multi tool from my days in the toolroom when I wore green. The factory tools work very well.

I know I could

assemble a much better tool kit
Agreed. I'll need a tool kit for "The Basketcase", since the original went 'bye-bye' long ago. And just try to find those darned double open-ended wrenches, without spending tool truck $$! I have a few, metric, D/O-ended wrenches I "acquired" along the way, that might be applicable. I've read in some motorcycle magazines of people assembling tool kits with enough tools to rebuild their bikes by the side of the road! But a rudimentary kit only makes sense... :twocents:

No you don’t. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an adjustable wrench with a factory name on it!

Back