Tools for Tappered Neck Bearings

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Do I need any special tools to install the all balls xs650 Tappered neck bearings? I have the harbor freight bearing and race kit that I used on the wheels but not sure if that's all I need for the tappered neck bearings.

Any tips?

Thanks.:D

When installing the race in the neck it is helpful if you put the race in the freezer for a few hours to shrink it. I also heat the neck with a hairdryer just prior to assembly. The cold race should pretty much just drop in place and once it expands should be a tight fit. I have also used my old race to tap them in place. I sand a few thou around the outside of the race until it slides nice and smooth into the neck then use a variety of things to tap the new race with the old race. when you do the bearing on the stem use the same procedure. Put the lower triple tree in the freezer and the bearing in the oven. Heat the bearing at the lowest temp (about 170 deg). The bearing will drop right on the stem. Don't forget to install the seal first and make sure you use the lower bearing on the stem bottom.

Back