Top end rebuild wish list

MikeC23

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So it's pretty inevitable that I'm going to have to replace my cam chain this winter. That got me to thinking, I should probably replace some other "things" while I'm in there. I have the gaskets for the engine. I'm thinking I should replace the piston rings too. What else would you guys replace without spending too much money (say under $150).

Why are you replacing the cam chain? Are you replacing the cam chain guide? Definitely inspect it closely while you have the top end off. Maybe a fresh set of valve guide seals? Elephant foot adjusters? Check your valve seats and lap them for a good seal.

The cam chain is stretched all to shit and back. There are only about three threads sticking out on the tensioner. I will definitely replace the guide while I'm in there

Do you have a type D or E tensioner? If it's the D type, I would put upgrading to the E type on your "to do" list. The D type with no lock nut can be the cause of a badly stretched cam chain.

I did the elephant feet mod. I think I used Empi brand. Took about 4-5 mm off the rocker. It keeps the valve adjustment setting forever after your valves settle in. The force of the adjuster is spread over all of the valve stem instead of a small portion of the stem. No pitting of the valve stem to give erroroneous setting.

I like the 750 kit I put on my 75. greatly reduced vibes, the extra HP didn't hurt anything either.
If you feel up to it a bit of port cleanup on the head don't hurt. Don't try to enlarge the ports, just clean up the casting marks. A bit of a polish is good too.
Leo

Mike I would also put a new Yamaha front guide in there, a buddy used a MIkes and broke in 1/2... Over the years I have seen the rubber come off one's that had less then a year on them. 256-12231-01-00.

Back