Top Ten 70's Bikes XS650 Snub!!

well i think cuz it's a "collector" list. The xs isn't all that collectable seeing as there were thousands made. Same with the cb750. I'm surprised the SR500 isn't on the list tho.

There are tons of bikes that could be on somebody's top ten list. This crap is always subjective, often the writers run with rumor from their brother-in-law because they don't know a damn thing to begin with. Kind of like those worst cars lists. All Fieros catch on fire, etc. Idiots.

Seeing it is a "70's" list I can see why the original 1969 sandcast CB750 is not on the list. It should defiantly have the 1973 Kawasaki 900 Z1A on it and the 1975 Honda Goldwing. Both bikes started a trend. The big bore muscle bike, and the invention of a true touring bike, although Honda didn't "dress" the Wing till 1980. Another 2 bikes I think belong is the CBX and 1976 Kawi KZ900 LTD. Many more on my list.

I guess I am alone in thinking my mint 1975 XS is collectable..
I just love the character of them. There are smoother bikes, and faster bikes out there,
I can't describe why I love them so much, Possibly it is the great luck I have had with them.
My Cousin is Kau guy.. couldn't give him anything else.. He has scared more girls away after riding with him than most guys have had dates!:yikes: He just cant keep off the throttle.
But Girls like the feel of riding on my 650 with me, I wonder why?:bike:

SHHHHHH.... don't want them on a collectibles list, price just goes up more..

Not one bike on that list that has as many aftermarket parts available or the support of our XS owners community . That list is total bullshit , the only bike that may belong on there is the BMW , but even that model is not my favorite Beemer .

Get real, kiddies. When the XS1 came out I was working the sales floor at a Honda-BSA shop. The XS1 was priced $50 higher than a CB450, and it was emphatically not $50 more motorcycle. The stock XS650 has a rotten suspension, weighs 50 to 75 lbs. more than it should, and is top-heavy to boot. It sold like crazy for the sole reason that it was the most cc's for the money. This is also why most used samples show serious abuse by ignorant owners.

Back then if you wanted a reliable bike that handled well you pretty much had two not so good options. You could buy a Brit bike and clean up the electrics and leaks or you could buy a Jap bike, try to lighten it up, and put money into the suspension.

Last edited:
Sorry we have to agree to disagree.
The xs was a charm compared to the Triumph, you would have thought I would have learned my lesson with the Lucas Blues, Lucas electronics STUNK, then I go and buy not one but 2 MGB roadsters..
The Hondas 4 cyls were reliable but the 3 Hondas I owned were doggy and gas hogs.
All my 650's were one kick starters, My 650 got better milage than my 350 Honda or my 550 4, the 360 twin was just unreliable and had electrical issues. but those are my experiences, others may vary.
I have a friend that finally dropped his Gold Wing down to $700.00 before he could sell it..

I think it's a pretty good list. I wouldn't kick any of them out of my garage, but they did forget one that had alot of people excited in my neck of the woods when they came out. Nice, original examples are rare and quite desirable, not to mention pricey.

DSONFXSUPERGLIDEldquoBOATTAILrdquo1200_zps4d1db9f1.jpg

The problem with the early cb750 they were pain to get the carbs synched correctly. Every time i got them set right, the cables on one of the carbs would stretch by a hair and then be out. Drove me nuts, granted they fixed that with 2 or 3 years of production, but that experience was enough to convert me.

Back