touchy 1971 throttle

ok.
So.... I dug out the o-ring and washer on each carb, set to 5/8 out. Runs awesome. I rode it around the block,(3 miles) and idle dropped it. It was almost spot on. Im very impressed how smooth this bike has become.
Note---all you guys with bad vibes should be taking notes here.
I ran it again around the hood, and really gave it the beans!! 5k was all I wanted to push it in 5th gear, but it feels very smooth, taking into consideration the age and design of this bike.
Although, at 5k rpm I was hunting for another gear. I think the chain is fubar, so when I get around to that, Im going to go 32rear sprocket to lower the upper rpms. I don't want to get a bigger front sprocket, as on my 1980 chop with a 520 chain, I see some dings in the clutch pushrod from the chain. It has a 18 th on it.
I also did some polishing on the cases.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
The alt side was easy to take off, so I ran it on the buffer, but the clutch side stayed on. 1,000 grit emery, then one o them foam balls in a drill really perked it up. I stripped the dipstick too, and polished that. Its too bad someone used pliers to loosen it, leaving teeth marks.

Attachments

• shiny%20009_zpsrwsgdrjz.jpg
    shiny%20009_zpsrwsgdrjz.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1
  • shiny%20007_zpssbnh7boe.jpg
    shiny%20007_zpssbnh7boe.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 1
That sounds great, Angus. Looks good. I should send you my covers. :D

Yeah, 18Tooth front sprocket will give you problems on a swingarm bike.
It did on mine, until I hardtailed it.
Then the chain was able to hug the sprocket and not try to saw everything up...

The list for this bike is getting shorter. I have a pamco, serviced every mm of the engine, vr-115, agm battery, all wiring cleaned up, every thing is dependable so far, a few hundred miles with no problems. You have been with me all along. Thank you, sir.
I do have a head bearing kit from all balls for it, and at the same time, change the the fork oil to 15wt this winter.
My dad is loving riding this bike. I joke that I baught it for him. But he can't sell it keep it at my place, and under no circumstance is he to pick up a tool to work on it.
The biggest bike he had was a 305 scrambler back in the 70's. Even before I got back into bikes, those were the stories of his glory days. This bike is such a more powerful machine.
Sometimes I let him ride my 2003 Suzuki marauder (800cc cruise) he like the 71 better, and to tell you the truth,mi like it better too.

...The list for this bike is getting shorter...
...I do have a head bearing kit from all balls for it...

Might want to add swingarm bushing to the list. When I pulled mine 18 years ago, I found serious corrosion, from moisture intrusion, on the steel bushings, and it was chewing into the plastic bushings.

...You have been with me all along. Thank you, sir.

Yew betcha!
BillTheCat(1).jpg

...My dad is loving riding this bike. The biggest bike he had was a 305 scrambler back in the 70's...
...those were the stories of his glory days.

Oh, yeah, same as my ol' ridin' buddy. I knew that crowd very well.

...he like the 71 better, and to tell you the truth,mi like it better too.

I can completely understand that...

Back