Tow Behind Trailer?

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to put a tow behind trailer on our bikes? I see one on craigslist locally and would consider it if:
1. It is possible.
2. At the right price.

Thanks.

Pull a trailer. Sure, with proper gearing. Stop the trialer and keep it under control? IMO, no. As heavy as these bikes are (in the mid weight class) unless we are talking the smallest, lightest trailer, our bikes don't have the mass to keep the backend in the back when trying to slowdown/stop a trailer. Thats my .02 .

Everything in moderation. In the 80's I pulled a small flatbed trailer all over the place with my '72 Sportster with a cable operated drum front brake. Sure didn't stop very well but I was very careful and didn't overdrive the thing. However, when I ran through a stop sign in Wichita going to a Labor Day party while braking as hard as I could, I decided to upgrade to an Electra Glide with disks. Try it. Sell the trailer if it doesn't work out.

It doesn't appear to be too heavy. The biggest obstacle I have is how to hook it up to my 650. I've never been in this territory before. I don't even know if there is a hitch kit or if something highly customized would have to be done.

The hitch would need to be custom. I suppose A sort of U shape bolted to the passenger foot peg mount with supporting bars on each side going to the upper shock or fender mount. The ball would be at the tip of the U. A fabrication shop should be able to handle it. Keep the hitch as light as possible.

Back