Toyota's solid state battery tech.

Elon thinks he can mine the lithium deposits in Nevada clay cost effectively. We won't be held hostage by Canadian pirates. :laugh:

...but Gary...we're so pretty...
Sexy_Canadians.jpg

Guys every concern you have stated is valid. I do lots of work for the auto companies and I’ve been privy to constructing many R&D facilities which in turn grants me a somewhat insider status for information. One manufacturer was leaning heavily on Hydrogen fuel cells to charge the batteries while driving. In theory this is efficient and cheap but the infrastructure is not set up for this and it is quite flammable so where one cost is lessened, another is multiplied. Another project I have seen is a truck which uses individual motors at the wheels vs one main power plant. The Engineers were very proud of this development until I asked them about pulling a camper with their truck. The look on their faces pretty much summed it up. It may be an electric truck but it may as well be an electric little red flyer. The run/charge times, cost and power loads pretty much dictate how things are being developed right now. It’s coming but I think our little ICE’s are safe for the time being.

My :twocents:
No matter what powers vehicles there is going to be pollution caused by them.
Gasoline causes pollution at point of use and in the refining process to make it. Plus what it takes to get it out of the ground and transport.
Pure electric vehicles would have little to no point of use pollution. But the electricity to recharge them has to be made. So the amount of pollution depends on how it will be made. Plus the amount of pollution and problems with making and disposing of the batterys. On this topic we also need a big change in infrastructure to handle the additional electric demand if a meaningful amount of vehicles go electric.
With hydrogen powered electric vehicles we still need to create the hydrogen. Plus manufacture the "batterys". All that causes pollution. Then we need the infrastructure for the distribution of hydrogen.
None of the answers are perfect.
I remember reading a article in a trade magazine in the late 70s. It was about how hydrogen could be used as fuel for internal combustion engines. No point of use pollution, just creates water. Wonder whatever happened to that idea?
No matter how it turns out gasoline engines days are numbered. How many days who know. But there is a finite amount of oil in Mother Earth.

Last edited:
Back