transmission problems!!(i think)

alfy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey 650 guys! been a member since i bought my 81special last march but havent posted yet, its a cool bike and has only caused me minor issues that i have sorted with the help of other threads but this time im stumped!! would be great to get some ideas as to what could be the problem!!

So, the bike is in neutral but when i start it either on the kicker or the battery it seems to be in gear, also the clutch does not work at all.

This happened after a short ride on a new clutch cable, i stopped the bike then came to start it and was using the kicker and thats when it all started, dunno if thats coincidence or not??

My mechanical knowledge is limited but i am very keen to fix any problems myself and learn along the way so if anyone has any ideas or advice on what i should do before paying a stranger 50 quid an hour to look at it then i would be extremely gratefull!!

Also Im told the bike was 1 of only 100 U.S custom specials to be imported to the UK, anyone know how true this is??

Cheers guys:)

Hey cmattina1,
yeah i had a new set of plates and springs so i replaced them while i had the cover off, took all the clutch out and it all seemed fine, the kick starter came out too, and all was fine, after a bitch of a time getting the kick starter back in, i made sure the clutch was working then replaced the side cover filled with oil and turned it over, i think for the first few turns it was all working fine then it fired and stopped(as per usual on a cold start) then the next turn of the engine was turning the drive even tho it was in neutral, also the clutch stopped working too.
sorry if thats not very clear! like i said im a novice when it comes to mechanics

Oh i am too. I was just having some problems a few days ago, and it turned out to be the cable was too long for the worm valve. One fo the experienced guys will read these, laugh, and answer, i am sure.

alfy;

Did you aline the index punch mark as shown in the pic?

Attachments

• ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    ClutchIndexSet.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 200
Hey retiredgent, yeah I did, but only after doing all the springs up with it misalined the first time then spending half hour scratching me head! Ya live n learn.

The problem started before I touched anything inside the cases other than renewing the clutch cable, the problem is straight forward, the bike is in neutral, but when I start it the wheel turns as if it's in gear! It may be simple but it's beyond me:(

Thanks for the idea tho, the pic may help someone to avoid making that mistake

Sometimes the wheel will turn when in neutral, but it means nothing. If the bike is on the side stand, with the rear wheel touching ground, then you would not notice it at all.

Have you looked carefully at the plastic (nylon) worm gear thread. If its cracked it would need replacement. Clean it fully for inspection, if its OK then re-grease it.

Is the adjustment done correctly at the side case and at the lever?

ok sorted it, so after 120 quid spent at mikesxs on clutch parts because its cheaper with the dollar than the pound, added postage and import tax, ended up more exspensive and had to wait 4 weeks for delivery, then 2 solid days of fitting adjusting taking out refitting trying retrying and throwing spanners around like a angry idiot, it turned out that i didnt adjust the clutch properly after fitting the new clutch cable........ yeah yeah laugh it up im sure you all done something similar at some point!!

what a nightmare
anyway sorted for now so thanks guys:thumbsup:

ok sorted it, so after 120 quid spent at mikesxs on clutch parts because its cheaper with the dollar than the pound, added postage and import tax, ended up more exspensive and had to wait 4 weeks for delivery, then 2 solid days of fitting adjusting taking out refitting trying retrying and throwing spanners around like a angry idiot, it turned out that i didnt adjust the clutch properly after fitting the new clutch cable........ yeah yeah laugh it up im sure you all done something similar at some point!!

what a nightmare
anyway sorted for now so thanks guys:thumbsup:

That's how a lot of us learned things:banghead::yikes::doh::thumbsup:

Back