Triple tree Steering lock, Bearing removal.

Malc S

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy's
Has anyone faced this issue before ? ( Of course somebody has, Silly question :doh:)
I am replacing the steering bearings on my XS1B650. Halfway down the stem is welded a small insert for the steering lock. Is it a case of grinding this off, then fitting new bearing and getting the insert tacked back on ????
I have searched the forum and not come across any posts before ?
Have I missed the thread ?
:bike:

Attachments

• IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0598.jpg
    IMG_0598.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 202
Looks like the slot in the stem was welded to repair some damage, so the steering lock would work again. If I'm seeing your pics correctly, I would say that all that's needed is to grind that area down just enough to allow passage of the lower bearing race.

I agree with the grinding it down process, Not sure if this is a repair ? It looks too good to be a repair. Trouble is I've not seen another post about it, So maybe you are right about it being a repair.
The Insert is very well made and shaped perfectly which sways me towards a factory fit ?

Just been veiwing ebay and found this Triple tree for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-Yama...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4169152f06
This clearly shows the same insert as mine wich indicates to me that its an early factory fitted insert.

Your post has got me thinking, I'm about to install 35mm triple tree and forks on a '75 frame. The '75 fram has the steering neck lock. I guess it will just become a decoration now? Any feedback on this? I likely won't be notching out the steering stem.

Thanks,
Yamimoto

Hi Guys.
Please ignore my above post.:wtf:
This is a bit of an optical illusion :yikes:. The new bearing will slip over the welded insert.
If I had taken the old ball bearing cup off before posting it would have been obvious.:doh:
That's why I couldn't find a thread for this before:confused:, The problem doesn't exist.
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yes, I was going to say that the area at the bottom of the post where the race fits is usually wider than the upper part. At least it is on later models, appears it is on the early ones as well.

Yamimoto, lower trees from a 35mm forked Standard should have the slot. The Standards all had the lock through the side of the neck. Only the Special models had the external lock under the ignition switch.

Back