trying to figure out my new 82xs 650

xs650 hs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey guys i just picked up an 82 xs 650 for 60 bucks in pa. i want to restore it eventually but my goal is just to get it rideable. the motor still turns over but wont start the guy said the cdi box is bad and threw it out. ive read on here that alot of people seem to go to a pamco systems. would that be my best bet or try to get it back to the original any helpful comments will be appreciated. Ive restored cars before but never a motorcycle and i figured this will be good to get started the body is in decent shape its just the wiring has been worked on before and then the cdi box problem. And another thing the rear wheel is locked up i figured it out its the brake so if anyone can help me with how hard that is to take apart and clean i will greatly appreciate it thanks.

Well lets start by welcoming you to the site. Welcome to the best little XS650 forum out there.
Now that's taken care of lets get a few facts right. The XS650 never had a CDI, capacitive discharge ignition, It uses a TCI, transistor controlled ignition. If you want to know more about the differences, Google it.
Now getting a good used TCI box can be a bit of a crap shoot. They are 35+ years old and reaching their end of life. You might get lucky and get a good one for cheap or go through a few to get a good one.
I might start by posting a wanted to buy ad in the classified on here.
I can recommend the Pamco as an easy to install, great ignition. I have run both the Basic Pamco as well as the E-advancer version. Both work very well.
Another thing I can recommend is to get a repair manual and read it before going to far.
Take the battery out and check the water level, If low fill to between the lines with distilled water, nothing else goes in a battery. If you have a motorcycle battery charger then use it to charge the battery. DO NOT use a car charger, it will hurt the battery. Wal Mart sells a motorcycle charger. I was just looking at them, I think it sell for $19. I have two like it already but I was looking anyway.
Once the battery is fully charged take it to a place that sells batteries and get it load tested.
If it passes ok, if not get a new one. The bike won't run or charge the battery without a good battery.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is a good read. If the bike has set very long the carbs need cleaning. The carb guide tells how to tear down, clean, inspect, repair, reassemble and tune your carbs.
Leo

On the brakes your repair manual has the "How Too" on that.
Basically you pull the axle, slip off the chain, pull the wheel out of the bike, take the brakes out of the hub. Clean , inspect what's there then a bit of grease here and there then back together.
Leo

Thanks for the info guys im gunna start on it today after work hopefully and any hints on rewiring the entire thing I got enough wire I figure but just want some helpful hints thanks

Posted via Mobile

Back