Trying to get 18"s on both ends...

unclesol

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Posted this in the General discussion by mistake, so re-posting in Wheels section for more specific response...

Thinking about converting my tracker to a cafe style, and would prefer to run 18" wheels on both ends. It has 19s on both ends right now...
I found an 18" XS 750 rear, and an RD 400 18" front, so I'm trying to figure out the mounting issues.
Any past experience or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Do you currently have spokes or cast wheels? What is your current 19" rear from? Ie., is a converted 19" front?

I'm in a similar situation, with 19" fr/rr. I like the 19" in the front, but would like to go to a 18" rear; in my case, my current 19" rear is a converted stock front, and the simplest route for me is to lace the converted hub to an 18" rim (which I happen to have, and which matches the 19" rims).

I'm in the process of doing this right now, I ended up buying 36 spoke 18" dirt bike rims, I found one on this forum and one on eBay at decent prices. I used mikesxs 18 inch rear spokes with my stock 16" hub for the rear and they worked great. The front I haven't done yet but I ordered spokes for an xs360/rd350 as they are supposed to work.

As far as the xs750 front and rd400 rear, I think you'll run into spacing problems, that's why I'm going the route I am. I'm no expert though and don't have a lot of experience with this stuff as this is my first project.

Do you currently have spokes or cast wheels? What is your current 19" rear from? Ie., is a converted 19" front?

I'm in a similar situation, with 19" fr/rr. I like the 19" in the front, but would like to go to a 18" rear; in my case, my current 19" rear is a converted stock front, and the simplest route for me is to lace the converted hub to an 18" rim (which I happen to have, and which matches the 19" rims).

I currently have 19" mags on both ends, using the Omar's hub kit on the rear.
Starting to sound like spokes may be the easier way to get this done :doh:

I'm in the process of doing this right now, I ended up buying 36 spoke 18" dirt bike rims, I found one on this forum and one on eBay at decent prices. I used mikesxs 18 inch rear spokes with my stock 16" hub for the rear and they worked great. The front I haven't done yet but I ordered spokes for an xs360/rd350 as they are supposed to work.

As far as the xs750 front and rd400 rear, I think you'll run into spacing problems, that's why I'm going the route I am. I'm no expert though and don't have a lot of experience with this stuff as this is my first project.

Does your stock 16" hub have provision for a disc brake?
Do you know how wide you can go with the rear rim?
Thanks!

That was my next step ;-)
I will have a tank, seat / tailpiece, 19" mags with rear conversion all available shortly, and will be looking for a set of rear-sets, tank and seat, along with whatever I decide on the wheels... Will post separately about this shortly.

You had some good tracker parts , like Omar's exhaust and stuff , ( I tried to buy your bike before you did, but the carb issue scared me off . Who buys a bike like that when the guy selling it can't even tune the carbs he put on ? Oh wait, you did ! LOL )

You do have a nice bike and you do have more than enough parts to trade to build your cafe.

If you're going with spokes, have you considered a 17 inch rear wheel? I'm contemplating a 110/80-18 front tire and a 130/80-17 rear tire. That rear tire size is stock for the current Triumph Bonneville and Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. The Guzzi has an 18 inch front wheel, but with 100/90-18 tire.

Thoughts?

motoguzziv7classic.jpg

You had some good tracker parts , like Omar's exhaust and stuff , ( I tried to buy your bike before you did, but the carb issue scared me off . Who buys a bike like that when the guy selling it can't even tune the carbs he put on ? Oh wait, you did ! LOL )
Yes, it was a little daunting when I first went to look at it, but persistence paid off :thumbsup:

If you're going with spokes, have you considered a 17 inch rear wheel? I'm contemplating a 110/80-18 front tire and a 130/80-17 rear tire. That rear tire size is stock for the current Triumph Bonneville and Moto Guzzi V7 Classic. The Guzzi has an 18 inch front wheel, but with 100/90-18 tire.

Thoughts?
If I can get the hub situation sorted for spokes, I can do any size of wheel. If anything, I might consider going smaller on the front, for a bit quicker turn-in on the handling...

I don't care for the Guzzi sideways Vtwin, but that bike overall is a sharp machine

I used the photo just for the wheel size. I wonder if it would look similar on the XS650. The V7 is a very pretty bike and has whopping 38 hp!

If anything, I might consider going smaller on the front, for a bit quicker turn-in on the handling...

The new Bonneville has a 110/70 R17 front tire. I expect it turns fast, but I have not ridden one.

978_0_2_3_bonneville_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

Jet, just my thought on the guz. I know they have been around a lot longer, but the motor just reminds me of the old CX500 Honda. Still the Guz is a looker. Now the Bonnie is nice. Some wire wheels, a little red pinstriping here and there, and pull the headlight in a little tighter to the gauge cluster.

Jet, just my thought on the guz. I know they have been around a lot longer, but the motor just reminds me of the old CX500 Honda. Still the Guz is a looker. Now the Bonnie is nice. Some wire wheels, a little red pinstriping here and there, and pull the headlight in a little tighter to the gauge cluster.

I like those bikes too, Dave, but what are your thoughts on the wheels and tires? I think the Guzzi with the 17 & 18 inch wheels has a balanced appearance. The Triumph with the 17 inch wheels on both ends might work better, but I'm not crazy about how it looks.

I actually like them both. The Guz looks like it came out of the 70's. The Bonnie has the retro/updated look. Kinda like the current Dodge Challenger, or what some guys do to a XS while retaining the original looks. Santa can leave either bike's keys in my stocking

Does a 110 wide front tire fit on a XS650 and leave room for a fender and/or fork brace? I would only do so with a wheel smaller than 19".

Back