Trying to idetify the motor from the id.

zwicker122

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a problem identifying the year of the motor from the id stamp on the front. The numbers i get off the block are 8U6-000928, but can't seem to find any listing on anything online to this number. The motor was torn down to the block when i picked it up and the previous owner didn't know the year either. I tried my local Yamaha dealer and they still haven't responded so i thought i'd try the forums.

Thanks for your time

Welcome to the best little forum in the XS650 world.
The 8 is probably an 3, that would make your engine from an 80 SG, Oceanic. That means it is in Austrailia or New Zeland, maybe Europe.
Leo

Thanks for the help. I've noticed this forum is quite active with members which is a plus for those of us in need of help. I was thinking the was supposed to be a 3 but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has come across this before ordering a bunch of parts. Luckily it seems the xs650 motors are very similar through the years with just some minor differences.

Most of the engine changes were minor things, The only major thing was when the went from the 70-73 256 engines to the later 447 and 533 engines. they changed the pistons, rods, cams. Head porting changed some too.
all the 74 up 447 engines most parts swap out. The 533 used different pistons and rods, but the other parts are simular.
Where are you from?
Leo

I think Canada did get oceanic bikes, I think we have run into that before by, 1980 the US was getting pollution and DOT regs that made our bikes different than everyone else's

Back