Trying to wire xs

deadspade

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I started ripping apart my xs650 a year ago and have most of it put together the way I want it. I started doing the electical portion of it three months ago but have not found a wiring diagram that I can really under stand. I am running a 81 xs and everything is stock, I removed all of the old wiring beside the wires that come off of everything ( no harness). Can some one hook me up with a diagram that I could understand and comprehend the way of the colors coming off of eveything.:banghead:

There are wiring diagrams in the "Tech" section. There is the factory wiring diagram and there are some abbreviated diagrams. Yes they are difficult to read ,but you have to learn to read them if you want to ride these old bikes.

If you don't have much experience with wiring and electrics, it may be easier for you to just buy a new harness from the Mikesxs.com people.

If you're starting from scratch I'd definitely suggest going for the simplified wiring diagram like this one

xs650-1.jpg

I find the OEM diagrams a lot more difficult to follow when putting the whole system together in my head.

Google some tips too. I did mine on the bike and found it a challenge that took a lot of time and planning to make sure that each move was stepped out through the loom before cutting/joining to prevent having to cut and splice in without being prepared. A good tip might be to get some cardboard and measure then mark out the components on the bike then draw the wire runs and joins that way you plot your detailed plan whereas your diagram will be just an indication of linking components without full detail.

Back