Turn signal switches

Highwaystar

Kid with a bike
Reaction score
Long story short the black connector piece in the turn signal switch is destroyed. Does anyone know of any alternatives to either fix or replace this? As cheap as possible would be great. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi 'star,
I doubt a little black (presumably plastic) switch part could be fixed up good enough to work nice.
If you could find a signal switch with a different broken part maybe there'd be enough complete bits to restore one of them?
A good used switch at a good price would be optimum.
Or a generic signal switch. Try a local swapmeet.
Your fallback position is to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I couldn't find a good used one so I bought a new one for about $50 - looks original and works perfectly.

I've done some surprising repairs on small plastic parts with JB Weld and other epoxies.
Got a picture to show how badly destroyed it is?

If it's a stock switch post up a wanted ad with your year and model. LOTS of guys have tossed perfectly good stock parts into a box that's sitting out in the shed. I have lots of LH controls.

If it's a stock switch post up a wanted ad with your year and model. LOTS of guys have tossed perfectly good stock parts into a box that's sitting out in the shed. I have lots of LH controls.

Hi Gary,
thing is, the OP is looking for a "least cost" solution and sometimes buying used ain't it.
OK, the cost of a used part in good shape is usually half of the new price.
But unless the parts seller is within commuting distance there's the shipping cost to be added to the deal.
Now you are paying the same for a used part as you would if you bought a new part at your local dealership.
Buying used plus paying shipping is a good way to get parts, sometimes it's the only way but it's not always the cheapest.
Like I got a spare XS650 disk brake swingarm.
It's free if you need one.
Shipping that heavy thing to the USA from Canada will cost you ~$75.

Gees, thanks for straightening us out Fred!
Those parts aren't available new at the Yammie dealer any more.
I don't want your swing arm.
I 'm pretty sure Colorado is still a USA address.
To the PO: I prolly have a complete switch or just the part you need, shipping is about $6 USD max, less for just the little black thingie sent first class, photo for positive ID is good.

To the PO: I prolly have a complete switch or just the part you need, shipping is about $6 USD max, less for just the little black thingie sent first class, photo for positive ID is good.

Hi Gary,
as always, just trying to be helpful,
No, Yammie don't have 'em any more but MikesXS stocks a barely adequate knock-off,
pity about their rapacious shipping costs, we tend to bulk-order from them to spread the pain.
Although you don't WANT my free + shipping swingarm do you NEED it?
While Colorado is part of the USA, Saskatoon SK sure ain't.
And Kudos to you for offering to help the OP.

if you have the complete switch or assembly that would be amazing. After a bit of research elsewhere i found another assembly that looks very similar to the one on my 1980 XS650 and it appears that other people have hooked these up but im not sure about the wiring?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Sport-...ash=item5d3f409661:g:DXkAAMXQh5JRmrTw&vxp=mtr

edit: i believe this is the picture for the purpose of the wires if that helps

Attachments

• wiring for switch assembly.jpg
    wiring for switch assembly.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Prefer to see YOUR switch, wire ends, they all work about the same, but the wire end connectors changed several times through the years. Specials have longer wires.

My Hi/Lo switch did the same thing. Grenaded while I was out riding so I have no idea where the piece landed. I found a used one as a spare. Easiest and cheapest. You still sort of run the risk of that one being crispy after all these years but hey ... that's the fun of old bikes eh'.

Got a nice one but not tested. $20 to your door

Attachments

• 1491419708166-97583772.jpg
    1491419708166-97583772.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 130
Back