Turn signals are not working, plz help!

Nickyd

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1981 XS650 SII, everything works on the bike but my turn signals. the bike is all stock and has no modification. i took the headlight braket off but when i re installed it i had everything hooked up right... i think. All the lights work BUT the signals (front and rear). i checked the fuse and that looks fine. i have the black ground wire where it was when i took them off.. its on the signal threaded mount. ANY help?
Thanks guys!

Lets start with the basic wiring of the turns. Power comes to the flasher on a brown wire, power flows out on a brown/white wire to the turn switch. From the switch to each side Dark green to the right, chocolate to the left.
I would start by checking for power at the brown wire in the flasher socket. Does it have battery voltage? Is so then I would build a jumper wire and hook it between the brown and brown/white wires in the socket, now try the switch, do the lights light up?
If not take the left side controls apart and check for power at the brown/white wire on the switch. If it has power turn the switch left and right and check voltage art the dark green and chocolate wires. If voltage is good there, move to each turn signal. On the rar just lift the seat and check for voltage on the DG and Chocolate wires.On the front you need to pull the headlight out of the bucket.
Often the wires at the switch come loose at the solder joints. The switch contacts inside get dirty too. With a bit of care you can pull the switch apart and clean it.
In side the bucket there is a dark green wire to the headlight low beam. Don't mix it up with the dark green to the turns. On the chocolate it can look a lot like the black wires. Just be sure that the power wires are plugged into the right places. If you mix them up they won't work.
On the grounds the wires under the nuts that mount the lights must be plugged into the black harness grounds. In front there is a black wire with several double sockets that wires plug into. On the rear there is a black with a three or four spot plug that all the rear light plug into.
Insure you have power to all the lights and the bulbs are good with good grounds, and withthe jumper in place they should light but not flash. Once you get them to light put the flasher back in place. Now try the turns If they don't work the flasher is bad.
Leo

What Leo said :laugh:

Attachments

• XS650 Turn Signals.PNG
    XS650 Turn Signals.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 331
Back