turn signals not flashing

XS Woody

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
rebuilding an xs650 from frame up..kind of a frankenstein type bike. wiring harness from a 77xs & controls (switches) from later model (80 on)...78 frame & 74 motor etc. anyway I have checked & triple checked the flasher, turn signal switch, signal canceler, bulbs, grounds, interchanged all of the parts w/ parts off my 80 xs650 that work. still no luck. the thing is when I tap the flasher unit on the frame of the bike I am building it will flash as long as I keep tapping. Any ideas ??? thanks XS Woody

Could even be corrosion in the flasher itself. If neither side works correctly, focus on what is common to both sides, the power source and wiring, the flasher, and the switch ground is what I would work on first. If the current flow is not sufficient through the flasher relay, it won't cycle. As Retiredgentleman pointed out, you need a fully charged battery that will pass a load test to begin electrical troubleshooting. Since you can whack it and make it flash, I suspect that unit, or the quality of the voltage/amperage going to it.

A mechanical 552 flasher is really cheap. Buy a new one a see where that gets you. You aren't running LED's are you? Have you tried testing the flasher itself? Disconnect it, run a hot wire to the flasher from the battery and probe the other terminal with a test light grounded to the battery. If your test light flashes your problem is elsewhere.

Thanks Guys,
I suspect the problem is in the wiring that I have spliced together. I am going to get back
on this project in the next day or so. I appreciate all of your input.

Back