Turn Signals won't turn on. Fuse Box Location?

Garrett411

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Just put some new rear signals on my 79 xs and they don't seem to work. The signals are definitely fine i just tested them with a probe. I'm wondering where the damn fuse box is? I'm sure it's right in front of me but i can't seem to find it. Some advice or pictures would help greatly.

Thanks guys!
Garrett

On the early models there was a single fuse in a kinda square box under the right side cover. It holds the fuse and a spare. The later years had a four fuse box under the seat. Yours being a 79 they made several models of XS650 The standard used the single fuse, The Specials used the 4 fuse box.
Telling us what year and model of the bike and any mods helps us help you. A lot of us put this info in our signature. It can be found in your profile.
Leo

It's a 79 standard. No mods to the electrical system other than removing the large gauge cluster and replacing it with mini gauges. Stock ignition and all that.

Do the signals light up and not flash or just not light up?
Are the new signals LED? They only work if the power flows through them the right way.
Leo

Lighting up but not flashing generally means low voltage. Without the bike running the battery voltage may not be enough to get the flasher to work.
Power flow for the flasher is from the brown wire that powers most of the bike. The brown wire goes to the flasher. A brown/white goes from flasher to turn switch. From switch to each side and indicator light.
On the stock set up the bulbs draw 27 watts each and the indicator 3 watts. That's the strongest draw on the bike short of the starter. 57 watts total.
Try them after the bike is up and running and the battery has had a chance to charge a bit. Reving the engine up to around 2500 rpms helps.
Leo

Did the old ones light up before you put on the new ones?
Does the horn work? How about the brake lights? They all run off the same fuse.
Leo

Oop's I just realized I never said where the four fuse box is, my bad. It's under the seat, on top of the battery.
Leo

Horn worked before i took it off.
The old ones worked i believe. Took them off this winter when i got the bike.
Just wired a new brake light up and that works.
There is no fuse box there, does this model have one?

I took apart the the handlebar switch and found that the brown power wire solder was broken off. Tried to re-solder it and had no luck, not sure if the solder was good enough or not. Tried the signals with the flasher-canceller plugged and unplugged but no luck.

79 Standard has a single fuse by the Solenoid

Helps to have model and year of the bike in your signature. Like XSleo's and mine

Back