Turn signals

Noah1212

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I bought a 1981 xs650 and the previous owner turned it into a bare bones cafe racer. No battery or turn signals or the turn signal switch. I was wondering what’s all needed to put turn signals in and how much work it would take?

Hi, Noah and welcome. Need some pix of the bike. It's hard to say what you need without knowing what was removed.

5083BF21-C441-40D6-8E9F-FFF068323838.jpeg
9520007D-B91C-4E31-A4A0-AF94EECEBC59.jpeg

These are old pictures I have I can take better ones in the morning. I’m new to motorcyles and kind of clueless.
It looks pretty clean so far. Looks like quality work too. Looking forward to seeing the whole bike. It looks like it's capacitor Ignition. There are guys here that have an excellent working knowledge of these kinds of mods. I'm a more stock bike guy myself, but you came to the right place!
Again Welcome!
Thu

Have to check to see if the wiring harness is original or the PO has rewired.......Have a look in the headlight bucked and take a pic and we can advise if the wiring is still there.........pic of the bar switches as well

If it has been rewired with out turn signals it wont be to hard to run a couple of wires to set them up.

Bike looks good.........post up a bunch of pic so we can see the bike from 10'

If your any good at wiring it isn’t hard to run new wires if they have been eliminated. It takes a lot of patience and a good schematic. I have some old blinkers and all the battery box components in my classified ad if your interested send me a PM. Also have some other relays that may have been removed from yours as well.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/coronavirus-parts-sale.56944/page-3#post-640837

I ordered some turn signals and I’d like to stay battery less. From what I read I need a flasher? And the switch for it on the handle bars. Do you have those?
If your any good at wiring it isn’t hard to run new wires if they have been eliminated. It takes a lot of patience and a good schematic. I have some old blinkers and all the battery box components in my classified ad if your interested send me a PM. Also have some other relays that may have been removed from yours as well.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/coronavirus-parts-sale.56944/page-3#post-640837

If you want to buy a turn signal kit I do make them up and sell them with a left aftermarket handlebar switch that does TURN SIGNALS - HORN - HIGH /LOW Beam or I do make them up with just a two button switch that you mount on bolt for clutch lever. I t only takes 4 wires and a switch and flasher but since you are staying with the sprax you need to find proper flasher.

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 136
  • buttons.jpg
    buttons.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 105
I ordered some turn signals and I’d like to stay battery less. From what I read I need a flasher? And the switch for it on the handle bars. Do you have those?

I do have the old relay flasher for incandescent bulbs, but you may want to get one for LED bulbs instead since they use less power. I use the old turn signal assemblies with led bulbs on my bike.

Have to check to see if the wiring harness is original or the PO has rewired.......Have a look in the headlight bucked and take a pic and we can advise if the wiring is still there.........pic of the bar switches as well

If it has been rewired with out turn signals it wont be to hard to run a couple of wires to set them up.

Bike looks good.........post up a bunch of pic so we can see the bike from 10'
625EB42D-FBB8-47EE-AC91-91BB023FBC28.jpeg
151B2970-E767-46D7-923B-02A00473788B.jpeg
1E8C3372-8B65-4A7E-BF22-929E2EDD9FC4.jpeg
520BFAB5-5EEE-45BE-A733-C8E017594068.jpeg

For the turn signal kit with the 4 wires front and back turn signals and the two push hold button for left and right shrink wrapped harness $40.00 shipped free in USA. You just got to get the proper flasher for your lights with Sprax. Just put on bike add 12 volts flasher and wire to your turn signals.

I’ve got some factory left hand switches and some cafe signals for sale if interested.
A6B16007-7DCD-4672-BD13-15EE44AA18D8.jpeg

If there is anything left of the original harness, you will find it tied to the frame under the gas tank. it would be nice to work with something original if you can, otherwise you could be reinventing the wheel. I would recommend you also hook up a brake light along with a tail light. That's one of those lights that makes me nervous. If it isn't working, you could have someone slam into the back of your bike. These are almost more important than signals. You should also include fuses or a fuse box of some sort in you install. Not to say you can't do it yourself, but if you are unfamiliar with electrics/electronics you may want to find someone with that experience to help. It could make it go faster. But if you want to do it yourself, you can get lots of advice here. First thing: is get a multimeter.

Hi, Noah and welcome. Need some pix of the bike. It's hard to say what you need without knowing what was removed.
I’m still a little confused on making a new post, but I got the bike started today so I know it runs but does anyone have any ideas on the stuck throttle?

Stuck throttle. ( Without the bike running) Reach down where the cable connects to the carb. Work the carb with your finger. Does the carb snap back to idle?
If your throttle grip is pushed too far on the bars it will catch. If both of these are free, it's in the cable would be my guess.

Never mind Noah, you have dual cables.

Also check inside your throttle housing. I had a recent issue an turned out to be the little rubber sleeve that the cable slides into the housing had rode up and causing friction on the cable. But I would start at your carbs and eliminate one thing at a time until you find the source. Like Thuban says, take the cable off the carb and make sure the carb snaps back. Then check the cable for friction and routing issues. If that’s still good then get into the throttle housing and look it over good.

Back