Two paper oil filers

Scotchmist

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a spin-on filter mounted to the sump plate on my engine and have just been given one kits that allows a small paper filter to be used beneath the side cover. My question is; can both be used together or does it create too much strain for the oil pump?

Thanks

I'm taking a stab at this based only on what I have read about this engine. As long as the filters are clear and not clogged, this should be OK. The oil in these engines is not under much pressure at all, one of the reasons that there is no oil pressure light. No oil light, I really don't understand because as far as I know there are two different types of oil light senders, one that switches when the oil pressure is low and one that switches when the oil level is low. Yamaha could have used a sender that warned when the oil level was reaching a low level. I would gladly trade my "lamp checker" for an oil warning system!!!!!!!!

Scott

Last edited:
The oil pump on these bikes can create a lot of pressure. I have used both a sump plate filter and an external oil filter with out any issues.
Leo

Hi, thanks for confirming. I've seen lots of threads about using one or the other but not both together (although I've on doubt that lots of people do).

While you can likely use both filters together, the use of both is redundant. The normal wire mesh strainer in the sump, is all that is required, as it is there as a coarse debris strainer to protect the oil pump. The actual filtering of fine particles is best done on the outlet of the oil pump.

The best set-up is to use the stock strainer in the sump, and a real paper oil filter on the right side of the engine. That is the standard method used with millions of cars and trucks. and it seems to work quite well.

Back