TX 650 Question Raised Tank Badges or decals

fullcameron; if the top triple clamp has fork tube clamp bolts then the whole front end was changed, I'm sure we can guess why. I see "frontend-ectomy" fairly often on used bikes. The 72 RH leg is also a one year deal, with a larger axle hole to fit threaded collar # 27 in the diagram above and lock nut that helps locate the disk rotor.

My 73 215563 born on date 2-73 has the 6 bolt rotor.

Gary

Thanks for the info. This is really interesting and totally news to me. When I bought the bike, of course it was "bone stock" except for the pod air filters according to the PO. But I do have pinch bolts in the top triple clamp, and I definitely do not have the threaded spacer in the diagram. I guess the unfortunate part is that they didn't replace the front end with the larger later forks while they were at it.

I only just noticed this discussion about tanks.

The original 73 TX650 tank came with badges.
There were a lot of problems with leaking at the rear seal on early TX650 tanks.
In my case the original tank failed after 6 months and was replaced with another identical "badged" tank which did not leak.
However some time later Yamaha started using decals on the tank.
(I suspect they ran out of "badged" 73 tanks due to all the replacements)

Both types of tank are specific for 1973 model only. ("366" part prefix)
Only the last 4 digits of the part number are different.

Try Decal Replicas. Their site may be Diablo Cycle. You should be able to find them on Google. I know they are a vendor for the Aussie badges.

Posted via Mobile

Back