TX650A 447-1974?

noears

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently got my dirty mitts on an engine, Engine is stamped with 447, no frame.

From what I have been reading this is a 1974 TX650A,

Was this model was a TCI/battery ignition, Yes, no?

Did this model come with the oil sight on the clutch side case? I thought Oil sights came in the later models?

As per picture, what am I missing or what do I need to get from mikesxs to get this bad boy ready to run, Keeping in mind I will run a Boyer Ignition and would like to get a PMA.

[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• eng_zpsfa428d06.jpg
    eng_zpsfa428d06.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1
!974 was a points ignition, two coils, two condensers, two sets of points, mechanical advance system. My 447 has nothing but a dipstick to check the oil.

Thanks weaselbeak,

Thats what I thought it would have been. Going to have to do some more investigating I think.

Unless the no is posted there is no way to confirm it is a 74, we will have to take your word.

Oceania 78SE-79SF's were 447 engines. My chart i use has a Japanese 81TX as a 447 engine and in the info i can find the sight glass started in the 80 models. Any side-cover with a sight glass could have been swapped on to the engine.

Who knows if the engine had a Boyer before, if it had then the points plate and advance rod and weighs would have been removed.

Check the stator, if it has the black pick up about 2 o'clock then the engine had the factory electronic ignition installed. Of course the cases could have been used from another engine. Need more pics or information.

Thanks a lot for the 650Skull,

No stator, No rotor no nothing on this engine, hence my desire for a PMA.

I can take as many photos as you want, but is there anything specific you would want to see?

Shit have reduced my screen some how and have no idea. LOL.

Pics proberbly won't help, I guess the only thing is the engine #,. If your sure its a 74 then what does it realy matter. Basicly the only change was the gearbox shaft profile was changed mid way throuigh 77, other than that the engine was the same through to 83.

Can't read the writing......have to change my screen

Good luck with the screen! You may just have to throw the monitor out and get a new one....

I really have no idea, I need to get hold of the PO so I will pick his brain and see what he knows.

How about the full serial number? leave off a digit or two if it worries you. I don't see an advance rod bushing in the cam so i am thinking the cam at least, is from a later TCI engine. As someone said the cover with window is also a later piece. As long as all the parts are 447 (74 up) it doesn't much too matter as nearly everything interchanges. But if the parts ARE mix and match it will mean you will have to be extremely careful checking everything is there. There were a few changes through the run so things like say transmission gears need to be verified that all parts in the set are from the same era (match).

I don't see gaskets on the valve covers either so that points to later motor also, if they aren't just missing. Gaskets were used on 70-74 valve covers. later covers that used o-rings will interchange also.

I don't have a full serial number because the frame and engine are non matching, I can only see three number stamped on the engine, unless I'm missing something??

Thanks gggGary.

Japanese bikes made it to NZ and Aus so the possibility it was a Jap import is likely. In 1980 they had 2 models and both had electronic ignition. One was a Special 3G5-****** and for all tense and purposes visually was the same as the 78SE/79SF (first 2 pics), The blue one was sold here in Aus recently, ( I spoke to the seller), and the red one i found on the net.

Second was a Standard 447-****** (Third pic).

The pics of the Jap Special 80-3G5 i have found do not have the sight glass in the side-cover but the Jap Standard 80-447 has.

This may be engine you have.

Just came across this...........

Scroll down to the last 3 posts on the page and top of page 14.. I knew there was something about the engines in the Japanese bikes and i couldn't quite remember. The Jap 80-3G5 and 80-447 Has frame no's but do not carry the 6 digit ID no over to the engines, apparently the engines just have 447 stamped on them.

I'm still out to lunch on Neils claim the 3G5 was a Jap 79

Attachments

• 3G5 XS650 SPL.jpg
    3G5 XS650 SPL.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 1980   3G5.jpg
    1980 3G5.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 8200408B2013121900200.jpg
    8200408B2013121900200.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited: