Tyre recommendations fro flat tracker build

Gareth Piggott

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I am about to start my full build up of my 74 650 into a flat tracker.
I need to source some chunky tyres that suit the bike
I have spoked rims sizes - 3.25 x 19 front and 4.00 x18 rear
Any suggestions welcomed.
Many thanks
Gareth

Shinko`s are the most reasonable priced and have a good selection. Vee Rubber offers a similar tire that is DOT approved. Do you plan on racing dirt track??

I am not sure whether your numbers are rim or tyre sizes, so I just assume you are referring to tyre sizes.
For a bit of "vintage flat track look" on stock rims, I would consider Heidenau K34 in 3.50x19 and 4.00x18. Back in the 70s, they used narrower tires than today.
https://en.reifenwerk-heidenau.com/modules/news/96_K34-New-Dimension.htm
K34 40018.jpg

Dunlop is now selling the K180 tire which is a road legal version of their DT2 and DT3 track tires in sizes 100/90-19 for front and 120/80-18 rear if you want the dirt track look.
They are actually suitable for track use if you choose and will fit the stock wheels.
Of course there is the venerable Dunlop K70, Pirelli used to make a "universal" tread tire that was popular with dirt trackers in the 70's but I don't see it in their current offerings. Surprising since Dunlop continues to produce the K70 and K81 for vintage builders that Pirelli hasn't reintroduced that tire as well.

X001.jpg

Last edited:
You never mentioned whether you are actually racing or just looking for that style of tire. I put some Duro HF308's on my tracker build. I'm running 19's on front and rear. You can see my wheel rebuild thread here. Prices were very reasonable. those Heidenau were my first choice but they are pretty pricey.

Those Duro's look a lot like the old Pirelli universal that they don't offer any more.
Back in the 70's before Goodyear came out with what has become the Dunlop DT series, the Pirelli and Dunlop K70 were the typical dirt track tires of choice.
This one looks very retro.

Back