Tyre wear

Hey Kevin, new guy here. What are the sizes of your Dunlops? 4.0 x 18 R and 3.5 x 19 F? Thanks!

Hey Kevin, new guy here. What are the sizes of your Dunlops? 4.0 x 18 R and 3.5 x 19 F? Thanks!
Yes, that seems to be the only size they come to fit our XS650s. I have 2 XS650s one on 404s and the other on K70s, They have only slight differences in suspension and the handle bars are very similar but the K70 bike feels lighter and livelier.
two.jpg

Yes, that seems to be the only size they come to fit our XS650s. I have 2 XS650s one on 404s and the other on K70s, They have only slight differences in suspension and the handle bars are very similar but the K70 bike feels lighter and livelier.
View attachment 253968
Thanks! Yeah, I'm building an 81 XS street tracker. I know an "official" tracker has 19s front and back, but it seems about impossible to find 19" rear rims unless you want to spend a bunch of money with Buchanan to have a custom drilled rim and spoke set, so my options are 4.0 x 18 R and 3.5 x 19 F or 4.0 x 18 on both. I think I'd rather have the fatter tire, but your red bike looks damn good with the 19" K70. I like the K70s; I have a Harley Sprint street tracker that I finished last year (my "Red Bike" avatar photo). I have 4.0 X 18 K70s front and rear on it.
BTW, my XS tracker is going to have a blue / black speed block scheme similar to yours.:)

Thanks! Yeah, I'm building an 81 XS street tracker. I know an "official" tracker has 19s front and back, but it seems about impossible to find 19" rear rims unless you want to spend a bunch of money with Buchanan to have a custom drilled rim and spoke set, so my options are 4.0 x 18 R and 3.5 x 19 F or 4.0 x 18 on both. I think I'd rather have the fatter tire, but your red bike looks damn good with the 19" K70. I like the K70s; I have a Harley Sprint street tracker that I finished last year (my "Red Bike" avatar photo). I have 4.0 X 18 K70s front and rear on it.
BTW, my XS tracker is going to have a blue / black speed block scheme similar to yours.:)
Do the Minton Mods on your forks if you are sticking with XS forks.

Of note on d404 v K70. The d404 front is a larger 100/90 19 which means it is essentially a 4.00x19 and 1/2" wider and bulkier than the K70.

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of it. Took me several years between camping out on eBay looking for parts, building the frame, going through the engine and fabricating numerous bits and pieces. I've got a thing for Sprints; my first motorcycle was a Sprint some 55 years ago (sheesh).
I also have a thing for flat trackers. I know people build trackers out of just about anything these days, but I like them to have some history in the sport. The Sprint 250s were unbeatable in their class in the sixties, and still burn up the track today in vintage flat track racing. And everyone here knows the rich history of the XS650 (750) flat trackers and Kenny Roberts. This '81 just sort of fell into my lap, so of course I have to build a tracker out of it.:)
I've been through several Sprints, so I pretty much know them front to back, but this is my first XS650. Since it's a popular bike there are a lot of resources available, not the least of which is this forum, so I think I can muddle my way through.
Oh, and it doesn't hurt that I live 15 minutes from Gary Hoos.:)

Duro is a cheap brand that makes period reproduction tires, this one is an example. The old Pirelli MT53 Universal is another tread pattern they supply.
This tire was made 50th week 0f 2013, 10 years old. I would replace it, the rubber will be harder and less tractable than new rubber.

Back