Uh-oh...If I dood it, I get in trouble!

Get those tires good an warm a couple times the shimmy might go away. Never hurts to remove and check wide rims for dirt build up inside.
Sweet and congrats!
I'm gonna go by my mechanic's place tomorrow and see when he can fit me in. I'd like to get it up on the lift and have a peek underneath plus re-balance the tires.

If that thing's been garaged, I wouldn't be afraid of those tires at all. UV light is one of the biggest tire killers (burnouts excepted). Bein' garaged would really lessen that possibility.

First time I ever drove a clutch was with a friend's Volkswagen I got going pretty shaky then shifted around a bit when we got back to his parents house he was yelling clutch clutch clutch before I crashed into the garage

oldmanvette.jpg

A somewhat better picture. My wife has Black Thumb when it comes to electronic devices. I'll get my daughter to take a better one this weekend.

Bill says use Hagerty's -- https://www.hagerty.com -- otherwise they treat it like an old car instead of a collectable. Also much better rates.
Downeaster -- congratulations!!!!
Now, onward with the thread jack. Shelby -- thank you!!! Put the El Camino on Hagerty's. Huge savings. Now I feel bad for not giving you a deal on that lower left side cover...
They do. Minimum value is $5,000 last time I checked.
(Hagerty Insurance)
I just got off the phone with Hagerty. Minimum value for a motorcycle is $2000. If you have 3 or more, minimum value is $1000 each. Great page with everything you need to know is here:
https://www.hagertyagent.com/insurance/collector-motorcycles-and-scooters
Minimum value for a car is $3,500. That's what I valued my El Camino at.
They will not insure daily drivers. You have to have another vehicle. For me, the daily drivers are honestly two vintage motorcycles. So, they wouldn't insure either of them. I'm eventually going to fix that.

Downeaster -- congratulations!!!!
Now, onward with the thread jack. Shelby -- thank you!!! Put the El Camino on Hagerty's. Huge savings. Now I feel bad for not giving you a deal on that lower left side cover...

I just got off the phone with Hagerty. Minimum value for a motorcycle is $2000. If you have 3 or more, minimum value is $1000 each. Great page with everything you need to know is here:
https://www.hagertyagent.com/insurance/collector-motorcycles-and-scooters
Minimum value for a car is $3,500. That's what I valued my El Camino at.
They will not insure daily drivers. You have to have another vehicle. For me, the daily drivers are honestly two vintage motorcycles. So, they wouldn't insure either of them. I'm eventually going to fix that.
I believe they’ve made some changes since I last contacted them. It seems they used to cover regularly driven cars/bikes. I don’t bike to work, because Memphis. Other than that an old XS is my first choice whenever conditions allow.

View attachment 324075

View attachment 324076

View attachment 324077

A buddy who gets the "Christmas Morning" aspect of getting a new car offered to ride down with me today and pick it up vs. waiting for Saturday so my daughter could take me.

Ride back went perfectly, noticed a couple of things that may need tweaking:

1. Distinct shimmy between 56-58 MPH. Pretty sure the tires are the 30+ year old originals, so guessing some fresh rubber will fix that.

2. Idle seems a bit lumpy, almost like a miss, but it runs smooth as silk under a little throttle. May just be the Nature of the Beast.

3. The rear window in the convertible top is pretty cloudy. Need to look into the expense/hassle of replacing that.

If you can believe the dash readout, it was averaging a hair over 20MPG on the way home. Even allowing for the usually optimistic nature of on-board computers, it should be getting 18 or 19 which is much better than I expected. My truck won't do that.

Of course, I was driving like a little old lady because it's been a LONG time since I drove anything with a foot clutch, plus a Red Corvette is like poking the cops in the eye with a stick, and I'm more than a bit leery of those tires. I'll make an appointment to have my mechanic look it over and get him to shoot me a quote on some new rubber.
Shiny! And yeah, I wouldn't trust those times at all! LOL

Bill was feelin' like making trouble the other day -- an Audi pulled up next to us and paced us a tad too long -- and decided he'd let her out a little. Not the first time he's hit 130, but the first time this century. Last was with the '79. We were in a pack of Vetts heading to Corvettes at Carlisle. Which is kinda amusing because the cops just kinda watched the parade... this was late 90s...

Back