un-knurled bars keep moving

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
My 10 miniapes don't have knurling, Ive tightened them down , the bolts are not stripped. but every now and then, I have to loosen the clamps and reposition them.
any suggestions?
ok, I know the real answer is to get a set of bars with knurling, but the price increase is more than a few dollars for something you wont see.

Could try Loctite or Permatex "shaft retaining" glues. Being a split clamp should help disassembly later.

Othwise, could try rows of centerpunch dimples...

My 10 miniapes don't have knurling, Ive tightened them down , the bolts are not stripped. but every now and then, I have to loosen the clamps and reposition them.
any suggestions?
ok, I know the real answer is to get a set of bars with knurling, but the price increase is more than a few dollars for something you wont see.

Hi angus,
you can't see the engine oil neither but that shouldn't stop you from changing it.
Check if the bar clamps are hard down front and back.
If they are, what you can do at no cost is to file the clamp ends down to give them more bite on the bars.
Or try a shade-tree mechanic's knurl. Whack some criss-cross cold chisel grooves around the bar where it fits under the clamps.

Sharp flat chisel. Give it about 12-15 lateral dimples all the way around parallel to the bars where it clamps on. Lil loctite on the clamp bolts. Problem solved virtually free.

drill hole through top clamp and handle bar, run in a sheet metal screw.
JK Hey Angus!

whenever I try to think about frogs, the thought just jumps away.
Trex, I will do this.
GGgary, if you didn't say JK, I would have done it.
thx everybody for sugggestions. Cheers!!

Try using emery/sandpaper as a shim,and see if that lockes the bars in place. You can dimple the clamp area on the bar with a punch.

jeez......so many ideas. Im think this should have been a no-brainer?
Im liking the soda can shim for first attempt. Then emery cloth, then start whacking lines/dimples.
Thanks again guys.

Back