Updating old tci to what??

Zyamahaz

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there an application to update the and make tci inoperable being close to 30 year old. My 83 xs650 might be needing a new and improved ignition. What does every one think. Instead of looking for a tci what can I replace it with??

it replaces the points, wich u don't have. it replaces the atu, which u don't have. the pamco is mostly used to replace points on 79 and older bikes, your is a 83. if yours is working. keep it. some have put pamco in a later motor, but sometimes the ends of the cam where the bushing go in are not machined. if a bushing is forced in there, it will split the ends of the cam.
but I do have a pamco on my 71, and love it.

it replaces the points, wich u don't have. it replaces the atu, which u don't have. the pamco is mostly used to replace points on 79 and older bikes, your is a 83. if yours is working. keep it. some have put pamco in a later motor, but sometimes the ends of the cam where the bushing go in are not machined. if a bushing is forced in there, it will split the ends of the cam.
but I do have a pamco on my 71, and love it.

The hollow ends of the cam just need to be cleaned out as there is an accumulation of rust and dirt from not being used for 40 years. A small wire brush on a Dremel toll should be used to get it down to bare metal.

PAMCO now offers a complete kit with the E-Advancer specifically made for the '80 to '83 models that includes two longer brass bushings instead of the three stock size bushings normally used. These longer bushings are cut on a lathe and trial fitted to an actual cam shaft prior to shipping. (Note: this kit does not provide a new coil. You can use your TCI coil instead or purchase a suitable coil) www.yamahaxs650.com

FAT%20ROD.jpg

I do not normally use this site for an actual sales promotion, but perhaps I can be forgiven this one time as this information may not be widely known and it does address the posters specific question.

Boyer-Brandsen and Pamco (in alphabetical order) are two possibles; by searching on this forum, you will find other brands as well.

A lot of us run Pamco ignitions and are very happy with them. As mentioned great support and any issues the builder is a member of this site. This makes getting help easy.
You might not get that from another ignition.
Pete, those new bushings look great.
Leo

If I get the pamco from Yamahaxs650 I doesn't include a coil
If I get the pamco from mikesxs I could get one with the coil which one would it be

Zyamahaz, see post #6 of this thread. The New kit comes with the stuff you need, you use the coil you have now.
The things you remove are the TCI box. You can remove the pick ups on the stator too.
Leo

Back