Upgrading rear shocks 1980 XS650 special stock exhaust

No they'll come off with some maneuvering. IIRC remove the tops first, then you can raise or lower the swing arm to get the bottom bolts out.

Chain guard clearance will depend on the shock configuration you choose. I use shocks with an offset bottom eye and that spaces the shock away from the chain guard .....

0wE2Vpa.jpg

When I got my bike it had aftermarket shocks and it had a crescent shape cut out of the chain guard to let it sit in there, by Owner A. It was done so neatly I didn't know it wasn't original until I tried to fit another stock chain guard and it wouldn't work. The reason I put on another chain guard was that the rear bolt fell out of the original near Pine Bluff, Arkansas as I was pulling out of an army surplus store where I'd gotten a second 2 qt. collapsible canteen. Made the gawd awfullest noise until I pulled over in a McD's parking lot and wired it back. I went in for a burger and teenage girls were giving me the eye, hey it's their prerogative, the next morning I took it completely off and put it in the trash can before it caused a big wreck. Owner A was the respectable P.O. who did good work. Owner B did much shittier work. At this point owner C (myself) has obliterated all traces of both.

Agreed. The chain guard might have to be cut on some to let the new shocks fit, though.
The progressive 12 series purchased from 650 Central are offset like 5twins shows and the shocks fit fine. However with the 16 inch Fat Special rear tire and the change in the geometry there is not enough clearance to fit in the tire. The tire is rubbing against the chain guard. Looks like I will be cutting a crescent shape out of the chain guard.

I don't even have a chain guard anymore. Makes it a lot easier to lube the chain and check its tightness. Not to mention fit tires.

I put it on the center stand in neutral and and turn the wheel till the connector link is visible on top. Then spray the bottom while spinning the wheel until the link is back up top again. Keep the overspray off the patio with an old piece of rug. Squeeze the rug same as digging an oil well. Use only spray oil from flea market. Goes on thinner than water and penetrates every crevice but thickens up into semi truck grease. Voila!

Last edited:
Not all good quality shocks create interference. Progressive Series 14 shocks don't require cutting or removing the chain guard, and Hagon and YSS may have shocks that will fit without trouble; measure and ask the vendors. If you just have to have gas shocks, though, all of them require modification or removal of the guard.

Here is some whacking and cutting.
20171205_132825.jpg
Final edge cut.20171206_160358.jpg

Here is the bike with the shocks installed.
20171206_160311.jpg
The bike is much easier to get on the center stand. I do not know about the side stand! The bike really leans over on the side stand...

Back