Use rear rim in front

xsrich

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm bored and want to fiddle with my bike again since I have some extra parts laying around. Can I take a stock rear rim (2.75 x 16) and swap it with the front hub and spokes and put it in the front. I love the look of a bike when it has the same wide tire in front as the rear. If anyone has ever done this please give me some helpful hints.
I know the spokes will be longer now since they come of the front onto the rear rim. Also, will the bike be too low and small looking since it will be sitting on two 16" rims?
Good idea or dumb?? Any comments welcome. Thanks guys...

Ive thought about this alot too... I have mag wheels and was thinking about running the rear in the front... I spent a little time trying to see if it would line up...

You would probably have to buy new spokes i believe... I would think they would stick through the rim too much... and might not even have enough thread on them to mount to the rim...

I was thinking about finding another triple tree that is wider... cnc'ing new triple tree mounts possibly to just run the rear rim on the front... You would have to find some spacers to fit a front axle through the rear rim... but that wouldnt be too hard...

just my thoughts...

The diameter of the hubs is different so the spokes will be at different angles as they exit the wheel not sure how critical this is but while thinking similar rim swapping thoughts that came to mind.

Are you talking about same size wheel, same size tire, both ends of the bike?

If so, I love this look too :thumbsup:

Like two 18" spoked wheels with drum brakes wrapped in firestone classic tires, perfect! :bike:

The 16 wheel is not that much wider than the 19. 1.85-2.15 F vs 2.75-3.0 R Just use a tire that is narow enough to fit between the fork legs 110mm for sure or maybe a 120 mm. I tink it would give the bike a nice balanced look. If you or someone does it I'd like to see some pics.

I once ran a 4.00 18" on the front of mine, as I was not able to but the tyre I was after.
As well as looking like a rickshaw (well that's what I thought), it handled like a bag of spuds! Just my:twocents: cheers

Here is Daves ride with rear wheel on front

Attachments

• draynernp4.jpg
    draynernp4.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 872
It's easier to do than you'd think considering the issues. Just get a spoke set from an XS-360 and drill the nipple holes slightly to change the angle. Everything is now the right length and fits properly. I'm running a 4" wide Avon, works great. Easy-peasy and now you have a cool new 18" front wheel.

I'm going to be running a set of Shinko Tour Master 130/90-16s.

A 130 will not come even close to fitting between the forks. I've seen the inner sides of the lowers shaved to accommodate, but after getting my front tire and really paying attention to how much needs to be shaved, I changed my mind.

You could always modify a harley wide glide to fit. It isn't a complicated process but they're pricey. The forks are beefier at 39mm rather than 34-35 and will keep that fat tire/skinny fork pairing from looking like ass.
westonboege suggested having new trees milled. I considered this one myself. It's a good idea, won't be as expensive as that wide glide, and you could have them made to accept larger diameter forks, giving it the look it needs and eliminating some of the flex from the front end.
If you have fabricating experience, and/or are daring, you could opt for my choice; build your own girder/leafer/springer. I decided to build my own girder. It's the cheapest option, if you can do it yourself, if properly done they handle better than the modern compression forks, and there are unlimited options for customization.

My last word; Approximately $200 + shipping to have Buchanan's lace and true your wheel with custom-made stainless spokes. I'm tempted...

I think all the Wide Glides had the FL sized forks 41 mm. The narrow front ends used a 39 mm fork.

It does look slightly unproportional... but i think if it was more of a bobber... low bars... lower the rear shocks to level out the frame some it would look sick...

Fong Bros 16" front and rear (Shinko 240 MT90-16 IIRC ):

FongBrosBike1.jpg

gentlemanjim, I don't think a 100 or 110 would look the same. He would end up with a lower profile on the front tire and not as much "meat". I have a 100/90-18 that I mounted and it is crazy narrow and low. It's significantly smaller in diameter to the 130/90-16 (2 inches or more) though they're the same brand and model.

The front 130/90-16s are made to be a match to the rear, same profile same width, and it's all for looks in the old cruiser style. It's a FAT tire. Generally if someone buys a 100 or 110 series tire it's because they're looking for correct tire size for their scoot and/or responsiveness.

Ok, does anyone know who Dave ( of the above shown bike ) is and if he is still on the site? I need to know how and what he did to get that rear mag mounted on the front!

Ok, does anyone know who Dave ( of the above shown bike ) is and if he is still on the site? I need to know how and what he did to get that rear mag mounted on the front!

dave is dave rayner of the xs650 club of australia.if you go to their site and look at members bikes you will see a few more photos. you may be able to contact him through the club

Back