Value of a 1979 XS650 Special I

Couperi

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, recently found a really clean, running 79 Special (the one with the mags) with pink slip and all, and was curious what ya'll think a reasonable price to pay for it might be? The guy is asking 2600 for it, but I feel like I generally see them lingering around craigslist till they hit 2200 or so. It has a clean title and seems well maintained. The odometer is at around 45,000 (the seller claims it's actually lower, but who can say) and it's around Los Angeles.

Also, I was wondering how difficult it is to swap out those mags for spoked rims? I know there's a ton of posts on it, but I'm wondering if the rear disc would be problematic to deal with if I swapped it out with an earlier model that used a drum brake?

Plenty of write ups on the wheels change as you say.................did you read them because the information you are asking is in those threads.....i know because i have posted about this in several

As for price...................No way can a price be given without any visuals of the bike...............

Well prices are higher on the West Coast At 45,000 it's due for a top end job, if it hasn't had one. Documented maintenance would make a big difference also, steering bearings, brake overhauls, swing arm bushings. chain, sprockets, fork seals, recent tires, quality shock absorbers, verify the charging system is working. Ignition upgrade.
There are definitely specials worth all of $2,500.00 but there are many more pigs wearing lipstick.

If 45K 650 Specials cost $2600 in my area, I wouldn't be driving a 650, lol. Shop around, I think you could do better on both price and miles.

It’s missing the side covers, and doesn’t have filters installed. Who knows if he has been running it like that, and for how long. Otherwise it looks almost new. Unless he has the filters and side covers in good condition I wouldn’t pay a premium.

It does seem a tad steep. Time is on your side. A better, or as nice unit will pop up. Based on what I'v found out..west coast bikes have higher mileage because of all the sunny year round ride'n season. We sold a nice Rd350 to some fellow in La La Land...(L.A.)... he told us.. first most Rd's out there was trashed and any in good mick are go'n for a small fortune.
Here in the Midwest... a couple times a years we have buyers from across the pond that purchase bikes,.... there's a fellow from Thailand that unlike the Europeans who are fussy about paperwork... he'll take anything..even junkers. He said .." papers not big deal..". Midwest bikes are favored because of the short ride'n season and the owners generally take care of their bikes. There's one guy locally that buys..loads ocean go'n containers..once full... Gone.
I know of a 81' Special a buddy has. New top end.. nice runner. $1200.oo.

In addition to the lack of air filters,
Battery acid killed the chain guard. It probably splattered the frame, too.
Gas leakage all over the left engine case.
Seems to me this bike was neglected.
I wouldn't go near it.

I'll help decode the typical craigslist ad

Selling my fully stock Yamaha XS650.
I was too cheap to buy needed parts
The bike is in great condition, cosmetically and mechanically.
I didn't say it runs, so.....
You can maintain it as stock or customize as desired.
I am SO done wrenching on this SOB
A lot of potential with the bike.
I am REALLY tired of pushing it home.
Moving to Dallas so need to let go of it.
I am moving out of state to get away from this thing, you will NEVER find me!
Registration is current with a clean title.
I bought it for $150 when my neighbor gave up on getting it running, I conned him into leaving the title open, I couldn't get it to run either, but I still want to make $2,000 on it.
Text me to set up a time to meet/call.
I will meet you at some gas station, you ain't finding out where I live!
Happy to answer any questions you might have.
I will say ANYTHING to get out from under this money pit.
If the ad is up, the bike is available!
No one else has been dumb enough to even make an offer.
Recent maintenance done on the bike
None of the following made it run right
- Rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned carbs using Mike's XS kit
I burred up screw heads, misassembled them, lost some parts, and put in a bunch of WRONG jets, in addition to the original problems that I did not fix.
- New battery
The charging system is F'd
- New fuse box
Battery fixed nothing this didn't either. twisted wire and LOTS of electrical tape.
- De-rusted gas tank
Shook some nails and bolts around for a while, the carbs are full of rust.
- New spark plugs
It's oil fouling the plugs faster than I could clean them, new plugs didn't make it run right either.
Pictures;The airboxes are off 'cause they had mice nests in them.
I shot through a window screen to get pictures this blurry, helps hide the rust, missing parts, and bent stuff.

There now you know, LOL

Last edited:
gggGary I couldn`t have said it better! In KS that`s a $1000.00 bike at best especially with 45K.

Same around me, but I doubt he'd sell it quick and would probably need to settle for a "best offer" a few hundred less. It may be mostly original, which is a good thing, but that means it is going to need a pretty much complete going through. The stained case bothers me, even though you do see it on many of these. It indicates a persistent and long term fuel leak.

I keep my eyes focused on the side of the road (and the road, of course) when I'm out driving.
I saw Jimi, my '80, looking sad with a tiny hand painted for sale sign on it last year, at a farm.
He wanted $800, I gave him $500, titled, running, with 5K miles.

ride 002.JPG

I keep my eyes focused on the side of the road (and the road, of course) when I'm out driving.
I saw Jimi, my '80, looking sad with a tiny hand painted for sale sign on it last year, at a farm.
He wanted $800, I gave him $500, titled, running, with 5K miles.

View attachment 116297

Wish I could have found one in better shape around here. But it is what it is. Now I'm already too deep lol.

For the sake of clarity, I'll just post the listing... I was hesitating initially because I thought someone would swoop it out from under me:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/d/1979-yamaha-xs650/6550380007.html

Hi Couperi,
if you decide you want the thing, show up with a pickup truck and cash money.
If he don't like your lowball offer, drive away again.
But don't sweat the price TOO hard.
The initial cost is insignificant compared to how much you'll spend getting ANY 1979 bike into good shape.

I'll help decode the typical craigslist ad

Selling my fully stock Yamaha XS650.
I was too cheap to buy needed parts
The bike is in great condition, cosmetically and mechanically.
I didn't say it runs, so.....
You can maintain it as stock or customize as desired.
I am SO done wrenching on this SOB
A lot of potential with the bike.
I am REALLY tired of pushing it home.
Moving to Dallas so need to let go of it.
I am moving out of state to get away from this thing, you will NEVER find me!
Registration is current with a clean title.
I bought it for $150 when my neighbor gave up on getting it running, I conned him into leaving the title open, I couldn't get it to run either, but I still want to make $2,000 on it.
Text me to set up a time to meet/call.
I will meet you at some gas station, you ain't finding out where I live!
Happy to answer any questions you might have.
I will say ANYTHING to get out from under this money pit.
If the ad is up, the bike is available!
No one else has been dumb enough to even make an offer.
Recent maintenance done on the bike
None of the following made it run right
- Rebuilt and thoroughly cleaned carbs using Mike's XS kit
I burred up screw heads, misassembled them, lost some parts, and put in a bunch of WRONG jets, in addition to the original problems that I did not fix.
- New battery
The charging system is F'd
- New fuse box
Battery fixed nothing this didn't either. twisted wire and LOTS of electrical tape.
- De-rusted gas tank
Shook some nails and bolts around for a while, the carbs are full of rust.
- New spark plugs
It's oil fouling the plugs faster than I could clean them, new plugs didn't make it run right either.
Pictures;The airboxes are off 'cause they had mice nests in them.
I shot through a window screen to get pictures this blurry, helps hide the rust, missing parts, and bent stuff.

There now you know, LOL

Hahahaha, well said. I feel like buying any bike from '79 is going to be kind of a horror show, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited by the notion of working on it.

Hahaha, LMAO!

I think we all could use one of these.

View attachment 116325

Haha! I’ll take two! Tell me something. Would that ring decode what my wife really means when she says, “I don’t care, do what you want.” Because I seem to get that wrong a lot. I take her literally. :laugh2:

Back