Valve Adjustments - Effects?

Robert Reed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, I finally decided to check my valves. I know, I know, it should have been done a long time ago.

My intake valves were both right on at .004 but my exhaust valves were about .008 and .009 so I adjusted them back to .006.

I'm curious if the exhaust valves being out of spec would have had any side effects and more importantly, will putting them back to spec make a big difference?

It was late when I finished up so I didn't run it yet. Will the tighter valves make it harder to kick over?

I never noticed much of a difference except maybe valve noise. It's better that they were loose instead of tight because past a certain point too tight means they don't get a chance to close and cool properly.

Yes, less noise will probably be the only difference you notice. On mine, loose intakes seem to clatter more than loose exhausts, don't know why. When I first got my '78, the intakes ticked badly when set to that year's .004" spec. I had to close them up to .003" to get them quiet. I was pretty amazed what a difference only .001" made in the noise level. It's become the accepted practice to use .003" for the intakes now.

Back