Valve Cover Stud

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all. It appears my friend overtorqued my valve covers a bit when helping me reassemble the bike and the threads stripped out of the case. Can this be fixed cheaply, i.e. JB welded back in? Or would it be worth tapping a new hole and using a thread insert/helicoil? Thanks.

First slap your buddy upside his head. Next time he offers to help slap him again.
I'm a firm believer in JB WELD for many things, in this instance I would do a thread insert. What ever brand you prefer.
Leo

Hi all. It appears my friend overtorqued my valve covers a bit when helping me reassemble the bike and the threads stripped out of the case. Can this be fixed cheaply, i.e. JB welded back in? Or would it be worth tapping a new hole and using a thread insert/helicoil? Thanks.

A helicoil will work better than JB for this. Practice the depth on a scrap piece so you
don't put a helicoil in and end up with a turn left above the surface. That way you won't
do more damage trying to get it back out. I got my 6mm helicoil set at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Good Luck

Until I have a chance to properly do this, do you think some silicone gasket maker around the valve cover would work as a temporary fix? Or would that be a bad a idea for some reason?

Can't tell if serious, or sarcasm. I know its not ideal, but I'm just looking for something to keep me on the road for another week or two until I have an opportunity to do a proper fix.

I would like to guess it's the outer lower nut on the exhaust valve cover. For a week or so's fix You could try JB weld in the hole, insert the stud, wait at least over night then oh so carefully snug the nut to the cover. Wads of sealer have a very nasty habit of migrating into tiny but important oil passages.................
If you decide to use sealer pry out the o-ring put a bit bit of sealer in the groove put the o-ring back in, then put the cover back on, that will keep the sealer out of the engine. I'm assuming you have o-ring type covers.

I do have o-ring type covers. By putting the sealer under the o-ring, it will push the o-ring out a bit at the bottom to make a better seal with a loose stud? It just has to last me through a week or two. Then I will have time to do a proper fix.

I've decided to get this done right and take it to a machine shop. I figure its worth 50 bucks to make sure I don't destroy my engine on accident. They want me to pull the engine off the frame and bring it in. Would it be better to bring the engine as a whole? or should I bring them just the head? And if I pull the head off, do I automatically need a new head gasket? The current one has less then a year on the bike and about 1000 miles on it.

I have one that is JB welded and it has lasted 4-5 years no problem. If it(the JB) didn't work the residue will drill out to re-size the hole for tapping for an oversize stud or heli-coil.
But it is your bike and your money. . .

Silly cone should be left in the store. It should not be put on anything you like.
Leo

Back