Variable Speed Controller for Ceiling Fan

nineosixdave

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Posting here because I have read more knowledgeable posts on electricity here than anywhere else.

Purchased 2 Westinghouse 7861400 model fans. The limited information I can get off them on the web is here:

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/ceiling-fans/56-inch-ceiling-fan/industrial-56-inch-three-blade-indoor-ceiling-fan-7861400.aspx

Claims .5 Amps and 60 watts at high.

Problems:

#1. the included controller has 5 speed setting yet, the slowest speed is not slow enough.

#2. I want to run two fans off the same controller and possibly three.

I know enough about electricity that you just can't go hooking a motor, let alone multiple motors up to just any variable speed controller or dimmer type switch.

Can someone provide some insight on what an infinitely variable speed controller (up to max rpm of motor) that I can use on up to three fan motors?

I have no problem buying an industrial type controller. The fans were really affordable.

Thanks

Dave

It looks like it has a normal single phase black and white wire combination connection at the fan. There are two possible ways to control the speed of an electric motor. One would be to change the phasing and the other change the voltage. The wall controller for speed might have a Variable Frequency Drive in it to change the phase relationship, or it might have something that changes the voltage. So what I would do is measure the voltage at the fan and see if the controller changes it. If it does then you might see if a light dimmer would control the speed since I notice the fan is only 60 watts. Once again an oscilloscope would be handy to have. I don't see how everybody gets along without one...

The easiest thing might be to look for a different controller.

Wow, a simple-appearing project riddled with hidden gotchas.

Variable-speed controllers come in different flavors, some use pulse-width modulation, some use skip-phase and/or rectified output, semiconductor types, capacitor types.

From: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/convert-three-speed-ceiling-fan-variable-speed-control-20057.html

Avoid compatibility issues with the switch that may cause the fan to spin too fast or hum. The author of "The Everything Fix- It Book: From Clogged Drains and Gutters, to Leaky Faucets and Toilets--All You Need to Get the Job Done," Yvonne Jeffery, recommends only using a variable speed switch made by the same manufacturer as the ceiling fan.

More info here: http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Products/Pages/StandAloneControls/FanControls/Rotary/Overview.aspx

Yvonne Jeffery, recommends only using a variable speed switch made by the same manufacturer as the ceiling fan.

Awe come on. That's a cop out. Yvonne is worried about the idiot do-it-yourselfer who tries some gadget, electrocutes himself and burns the house down in the process. Then comes running after her with a gaggle of lawyers.

This being xs650.com, I figured some of the inmates would surely be very knowledgeable about this kind of thing and have good information of the type of industrial controller from McMaster-Carr and the part number to order. Then, all I would need to do is pull out an osccilo-something and a welder and get to hooking it all up.

Now where did I put the GBs need more GBs.

Yup, too many unknowns. Ceiling fan motors have used various winding styles to reduce heat and noise. Like xjwmx sez, would have to hook-up a scope to know for sure. That Lutron site (or others) may have a compatibility cross-listing...

Did you read the manufacturer's instructions? If you plan to use it at your home, its not the correct type.

The first thing to note is that they are an industrial fan. The reason you think its to fast is because its designed to run fast, as in an industrial setting. Household fans run slower by design.

The instructions says "Not recommended for household applications." It needs to be installed 10 feet above the floor for safety reasons.

The instructions also say, "do not use any solid state fan speed control devices, or variable speed controls." This fan is designed to only use the speed controller that the manufacturer supplies with it.

Your idea of using one controller to run 2 or 3 fans, sounds like a bad idea and could lead to over heating or a fire in your home.

It's over ten feet above the floor. Read the instructions and reviewed the very limited specifications. Wouldn't even have these issues if the manufacturers would just list the rpms at each speed. But none of them do. Some show rpms at top speed and most just show how many CFMs they move - again, at top speed. Even read the reviews and knew going into this that at top speed, it would spin too fast. But the controller has 5 speeds so I figured the lowest, would be low.

And really, this is not an industrial fan by any means. It's an industrial looking fan. Those requirements (other than the 10' up) are just to cover the manufacturers a$$ from lawyers.

I will check a voltage meter to see if the output volts changed by the manufacturers control as xjwmx recommended.

I am confident that what I want to do, can be accomplished as long as there is a little math involved.

Dave

I have used dimmer switches before. I don't know if it would work in your situation but it is totally variable. I think they make slide switches for them too.

The company selling the Fan has warnings, Do not use a dimmer switch), and disclaimers for a reason. Installing 2 or more industrial, (for domestic use), fans off one dimmer switch is going against every thing they say not to do. Your household insurance becomes invalid, potential fire, (using dimmers and more than one fan on one dimmer), hazard.

Is your family well insured, oops insurance invalid and possible homicide investigation and insurance fraud.

I'm sure it states a warning that "this product should not be used as a hand held fan". What do they know i'm sure you can do that to.

Knowledgeable.......well who am i to say, just think that this question deserves a facetious answer with some facts and possables.

Ever seen those safety videos that has Bozo in them.???????

Yup trying to run a fan below design speed is a no no brainer. At the least, a stunk up house as the motor overheats and burns all the insulation off the windings is very possible. This is one of those areas where the Don't do this, you shmuck, is not just boiler plate. Too bad all those "do not use the lawn mower as a hedge tirmmer warnings" dilute the real "you're headed for a cliff" warnings.
Used to sell a lot of ceiling fans. The old saw is; the cheaper the fan the faster it has to run to self cool.

Back