Velocity Stacks.

charlesincharge09

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hey guys i need some info on jetting! i have a 79 and it is getting ready for paint. I made custom exhaust with no baffles, and will be running velocity stacks. i live in Wisconsin. what would you recommend for jetting and needle adjustment on my bs38 carbs? here is a pic of my exhaust. down the road i will probably get baffles.

dd33fa6d.jpg

No one can tell you what jetting your bike needs. Even with a vey simular set up, the jetting may or may not work.
I might try one up on the pilots and two up on the mains, set the mix screws to 2 1/4 turns out. Adjust the mix as needed. Then go from there.
Have you read the carb guide? It tells how to test the jetting and how to adjust it by the test results.
Leo

yes i have. carbs just arent really my thing, i like to fabricate as you can see lol not sure what jets to order. i would like to have a giant assortment but that means lots of $$$$$$$$

The stock jetting is in the carb guide. If your carbs are the stock 78-79 carbs then the stock jetting is a 135 mains, 27.5 pilots, needle in the #3 slot from the top, 2 1/4 turns out on the idle mix screws, 24 mm on the float height.
A set of jets runs around $7 at your local independent shop. They are often real Mikuni parts, not Chinese knock offs. If you find a place that works on dirt bikes, atv's, they often have an assortment of gently used jets. Might save a few buks and they might buy back what you don't use.
Be nice, give them some business. They got kids to feed too.
Leo

Back