Very hard to start, but runs great

Misterobotto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I've done some tuning lately, and my bike is running better than ever... the only issue is that it is a total pain to get it started.

It's an 82' with the stock TCI. I recently synced the carbs, and changed the plugs (and will be checking the gaps on those later today). I have seen all of the spectacular posts on getting these things to start, but since it hasn't been a problem in the past, and it's running great, I figured I would ask if there is anything quick and easy I should try before I go through this list http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390

Thanks,

Wes

Oh and I'm using the starter... It turns, but takes about 10 seconds to get anything close to a fire, and it's pretty weak for the first 30 seconds after starting... After that it's all good.

Well a full carb overhaul is always best. But thanks to 5twins here's a
"might try", you can often get the float bowls off with the carbs still on the engine. that "jet" is easy to plug. Check that yours are clean and you can "see the light". before you remove the floats turn the petcock to prime and drain off some fuel through the float drains into a clean container, see what shows up. The pic is BS38 float bowls but the BS34 bowls use the same kind of choke circuit.

ChokeJet.jpg

ChokeJet2.jpg

my 81 is sometimes a bitch to get it to fire with the electric but kick starts every time second or third when cold first when warm someday ill get around to check the the spark when cranking with the starter with plugs in using a wire with a gap to the plug to watch spark quality

what plugs are you running? can we get a pic?
also, when you do get it started cold, if you push in the enrichener, what does it do?
if its warm, and you pull out the enrichener, what does it do?
you might be too rich on the air mix, have you tried the dead cylinder method?
my bike was hard to fire also, read some one had good luck with autolite AP63's, they are a extended reach, just like the stock plugs, and now my bike is a one kick, after i charge the cylinders cold.
as far as the electric leg taking too long, check the battery ground, and the motor to frame grounds. sounds like your starter is drawing too much load. if the ground wires are stiff, or brittle, you might need to replace them. if they look ok, clean the spot were the wire attaches to the frame/motor. get to bare shiny metal, use a star washer, then aftr thats connected, hit it with your color of choice to seal the union.

i think mine was rich on idle ill have to try it again sence i leaned out the idle mix screws a bit...running those mikes xs needles...ha ha best idle and throttle response at about 1/4 to 1/8 turn out lol

Back