Voodoo Vintage hardtail question

tuba6869

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I just ordered my mk21 hardtail and was wondering if i need to have any spacers made or can I just weld it up properly and throw my rear tire and axle in and be good to go... any input would be appreciated! thank you

I recall some members recommending fitting the axle, plus some spacers, perhaps +1/16", so that shrinkage after welding would be controlled, and yield useable real wheel fitments...

well i guess im more looking to if it needs spacers to fit the wheel properly in the rear and if so what size spacers need to go in there for the sprockets to align correctly

I am working on the same project and welded my MK21 hardtail in tonight and mocked up the wheel and found that it was just floating. I need spacers too, did you find anything out yourself? What did you end up doing?

Get ready for a LOW RIDER. I am considering re-chopping my bike this winter and switching from the mk21 to the tc bros hardtail. My bike is super low. Beware when choosing wheels for the mk21. Here's my setup with late model mags.

Attachments

• 288998c5-bcda-4069-a210-4f03f1e403ec.jpg
    288998c5-bcda-4069-a210-4f03f1e403ec.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 389
I am working on the same project and welded my MK21 hardtail in tonight and mocked up the wheel and found that it was just floating. I need spacers too, did you find anything out yourself? What did you end up doing?

Hi RevGas.
if your hardtail has the same spacing as the bike's original swingarm there should be no need for extra spacers and the rear wheel should bolt up just like it did before.
BUT
Welding allows access for the warp-demon.
It's possible, or even likely, that the rear and transmission sprockets won't line up when the wheel is in place.
That's when you'll have to jack the hardtail open wider so you can fix the sprocket alignment with spacing washers.

Back