Want to make sure I did this correctly...

im considering cutting my losses and

Darien this IS friendly advice.
Consider buying a running bike or one semi running.
The learning curve on the motor will be enough to keep you busy this winter.
You may find the XS to be too much maintenance for your tastes.
Frequent oil changes, chain tightening, valve and cam adjustments, carb fiddling, it is something everyweek.
Or you may find the mechanical noise and vibration are what feeds the need.....
If it is your cup of tea then start on the frame.
100 here, 100 there and soon you are at a couple of thousand and still can't ride.

Most, probably all, bikes have a VIN plate/sticker and a stamped neck.
Always check for these: 1)the VIN plate/sticker. 2) the stamp in the neck. 3) the title matches all of these numbers.
As for the DMV, why the hell don't people just call them and ASK them the rules? Some shit ball in a grimy shop is NOT the DMV!!!!!!
Why do people believe these turds? "Der, my buddy knows a guy who knows a guy who got a title in a state....." Bullshit!!!!!
I live in Delaware and they will not except titles from certain title companies. Period!
States are starting to get really strict with this stuff.
Call your DMV and ask about getting a new title or bonded title. They are not going to shoot you or something.
But never, ever believe a story about some guys brother's uncle's friend's getting a title. If they are so knowledgable about getting titles then ask them to do it, which they won't.

Darien this IS friendly advice.
Consider buying a running bike or one semi running.
The learning curve on the motor will be enough to keep you busy this winter.
You may find the XS to be too much maintenance for your tastes.
Frequent oil changes, chain tightening, valve and cam adjustments, carb fiddling, it is something everyweek.
Or you may find the mechanical noise and vibration are what feeds the need.....
If it is your cup of tea then start on the frame.
100 here, 100 there and soon you are at a couple of thousand and still can't ride.

That was my original plan, but with car insurance, car payments, school, rent, hospital bills, blah blah blah...i can't really afford anything but 100 here or there. That way, I can take my time and learn as much as possible along the way. I know it'll be rough, but I'm expecting it! Thanks for the advice, but I'm trying to push myself to finish this!

Most, probably all, bikes have a VIN plate/sticker and a stamped neck.
Always check for these: 1)the VIN plate/sticker. 2) the stamp in the neck. 3) the title matches all of these numbers.
As for the DMV, why the hell don't people just call them and ASK them the rules? Some shit ball in a grimy shop is NOT the DMV!!!!!!
Why do people believe these turds? "Der, my buddy knows a guy who knows a guy who got a title in a state....." Bullshit!!!!!
I live in Delaware and they will not except titles from certain title companies. Period!
States are starting to get really strict with this stuff.
Call your DMV and ask about getting a new title or bonded title. They are not going to shoot you or something.
But never, ever believe a story about some guys brother's uncle's friend's getting a title. If they are so knowledgable about getting titles then ask them to do it, which they won't.

I did talk to the DMV this morning. They are the ones that told me I'm "guaranteed" a title if the bike passes the inspection haha.

another thought on calling the dmv as opposed to walking in there with the info that you have.

i was a dumbass that got a non titled xs. chopped it up, spent around 2500 before i had the balls (or brains) to go up to the DMV to get my title. but before this i called the local DMV and i was talking to the lady and told her i had a 74xs650 without a title. i had a bill of sale. she told me that there is NO way to title a bike without a previous title. she told me to get ahold of the person that i got the bike from, and have him get ahold of the person he got the bike from and track down the title. unless i did this then there was no way that i could ever get a title. i said, "allright, thank you" pressed redial 30 seconds later, got ahold of a different lady and she said, "oh you have a bill of sale and the vin. no problem"

i could make this story longer but ill save you the time (includes an excop friend running the vin). your best bet is to take the vin number TO the local DMV and have them run the numbers. if they come out clean they will send you the title. that is what i did, and everything turned out fine. i think sometimes with these old bikes some of the clerks dont even know what their talking about. if you get a clerk that says that it cant happen and wont even run your numbers, go to another dmv or come back the next day and hope for someone else. im in michigan, im sure its different in your state.

another thought on calling the dmv as opposed to walking in there with the info that you have.

i was a dumbass that got a non titled xs. chopped it up, spent around 2500 before i had the balls (or brains) to go up to the DMV to get my title. but before this i called the local DMV and i was talking to the lady and told her i had a 74xs650 without a title. i had a bill of sale. she told me that there is NO way to title a bike without a previous title. she told me to get ahold of the person that i got the bike from, and have him get ahold of the person he got the bike from and track down the title. unless i did this then there was no way that i could ever get a title. i said, "allright, thank you" pressed redial 30 seconds later, got ahold of a different lady and she said, "oh you have a bill of sale and the vin. no problem"

i could make this story longer but ill save you the time (includes an excop friend running the vin). your best bet is to take the vin number TO the local DMV and have them run the numbers. if they come out clean they will send you the title. that is what i did, and everything turned out fine. i think sometimes with these old bikes some of the clerks dont even know what their talking about. if you get a clerk that says that it cant happen and wont even run your numbers, go to another dmv or come back the next day and hope for someone else. im in michigan, im sure its different in your state.

I kind of got this idea because the first person I spoke with sounded like they didn't know what I even meant in my question and said I HAVE to have the title. Then, the next person said bill of sale and inspection and I get the title. I'm thinking it's somewhere in between haha.

I didn't cheat anybody, nor have I ever or tried to title a stolen bike. I took it to the state police and had them run the numbers. It was totally clean. Unfortunately, some states don't require titles so people throw them away, screwing it up for people in states that require them. MY state doesn't care if it was titled in the state for 100 years, if you don't have a title (because the idiot son lost it when his dad died and can't get a replacement 'cuz he was not the original owner and he's an uneducated hick that didn't file the death certificate properly to obtain a limited power of attorney to transfer all the vehicles) you can't register it.

Not everyone using a loophole, such as another state, is cheating or getting a title for a stolen bike. Every state I have titled a bike in has a VIN verification. So if the dumbass didn't report his bike stolen, well then he's a dumbass. I've got 6 frames, all clean, with no titles that I got from the same guy because he bought them in a state that has no titles for bikes over 15 years old and waited too long to register them. Now the laws changed and he can't do anything with them, so he sold them to me. They sell them on ebay, ect. I have been told by the Maryland and Delaware DMV that it is illegal to sell a frame, of anykind with a VIN, without a title (proof of ownership). The DMV said the sale without a title/transferable registartion is invalid. But people still do it. Just 'cuz it doesn't have a title doesn't mean it's stolen.

Last edited:
I didn't cheat anybody, nor have I ever or tried to title a stolen bike. I took it to the state police and had them run the numbers. It was totally clean. Unfortunately, some states don't require titles so people throw them away, screwing it up for people in states that require them. MY state doesn't care if it was titled in the state for 100 years, if you don't have a title (because the idiot son lost it when his dad died and can't get a replacement 'cuz he was not the original owner and he's an uneducated hick that didn't file the death certificate properly to obtain a limited power of attorney to transfer all the vehicles) you can't register it.

Not everyone using a loophole, such as another state, is cheating or getting a title for a stolen bike. Every state I have titled a bike in has a VIN verification. So if the dumbass didn't report his bike stolen, well then he's a dumbass. I've got 6 frames, all clean, with no titles that I got from the same guy because he bought them in a state that has no titles for bikes over 15 years old and waited too long to register them. Now the laws changed and he can't do anything with them, so he sold them to me. They sell them on ebay, ect. I have been told by the Maryland and Delaware DMV that it is illegal to sell a frame, of anykind with a VIN, without a title (proof of ownership). The DMV said the sale without a title/transferable registartion is invalid. But people still do it. Just 'cuz it doesn't have a title doesn't mean it's stolen.

littlebill, i was basically stating this for the OP to exhaust all options before trying to go out of state to get a loophole title. i dont even know where your coming from with all that.

we see threads every couple of weeks about guys wanting to get around not having a title, and stamping necks, and using a neck from a titled bike and blah blah.

if someone gets the numbers ran and its clean, then fuck it, do whatever you need to do to get a title. but if someone buys a bike for 100 bucks from some meth head without a title and then tries to snake their way into a title that is what i have a problem with. not saying that that i what is going on in this case, to be honest i didnt even look over the whole thread again to see what the deal is with the title. im gonna go work on my bike now. :banghead:

my title was $27.50. it was in MY state. i didnt have to fool anybody into getting it. or cheat someone who got their shit stolen.

I appoligize if I misread your post. It just seemed as though you were pointing a negative finger at those who use uncoventional avenues to obtain a title.

For those who don't want to read this entire thread, i'll give you a quick rundown of my situation.

I have a title for an xs650 frame and don't have the frame (kind of got scammed on craigslist). There is another xs650 frame for sale that I am working on getting. It does not have a title. I was wondering if (as long as the vin is clean on the untitled xs650 title) I can re-stamp the untitled frame to match the title I have since that frame is M.I.A.? My other option is to simply make sure the VIN on the untitled frame is clean and build my bike and just have it inspected and apply for a title.

I called the DMV and title office yesterday and was told that I am "guaranteed" a title as long as my bike passes inspection. I am taking that with a grain of salt.

What would you guys do in my position?

If you get caught altering a VIN it is big trouble. I would either buy a clean titled frame or go the inspection route. Personally I would alter the VIN.

Stop!! I meant I would NOT alter the VIN. I messed up.

A friend of mine got in trouble just for removing a VIN plate from a car when he was restoring it. He took it off to paint and was going to put it back on. A cop saw it in his office and thought he was switching them. Not something I would mess with.

haha, i thought that's what you meant to say! I'm getting the vin number tomorrow and taking it to the dmv on monday, so as long as it's not stolen, i'll be good to go for the time being... thanks for the help!

For those who don't want to read this entire thread, i'll give you a quick rundown of my situation.

I have a title for an xs650 frame and don't have the frame (kind of got scammed on craigslist). There is another xs650 frame for sale that I am working on getting. It does not have a title. I was wondering if (as long as the vin is clean on the untitled xs650 title) I can re-stamp the untitled frame to match the title I have since that frame is M.I.A.? My other option is to simply make sure the VIN on the untitled frame is clean and build my bike and just have it inspected and apply for a title.

I called the DMV and title office yesterday and was told that I am "guaranteed" a title as long as my bike passes inspection. I am taking that with a grain of salt.

What would you guys do in my position?
are you sure the title is for a xs and not for the frame in your pictures? I have the same frame with a clean title and was going to swap out necks but when you get to looking at it, I can't see how it would look good or close to loooking right. Here when you get a title for a "new build" it has to meet 2012 rules, ie EPA, light ect....
On other note, most times buying a few parts at a time ie frame then motor then wheels you get alot tied up. You may way to look for a good roller.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing with ya build :D

I live in FL too and researched getting a title for a bike from the DMV. What it is is an ASPT title which is considered built from parts. You need bills of sales and reciepts for the whole build and then have to go to the DMV for an inspection. They then tax you on everything and title the bike as 2011 ASPT. It will need turn signals, horn, etc. Seemed like a major pain so I just waited and bought a bike with a title and matching frame stamp. There are enough deals out there i'm sure you can come across a decent roller with a title and then be able to use your new parts.

Back