Want to put on 18" rear instead of 16".

Bryan Patrick

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
New to a any kind of rebuilding so I want to make sure I'm considering all possible bad outcomes.

I have a '79 special with the 16" rear and 13" shocks. I want the ass end to be higher so I'm thinking of getting an 18". Any reason this wont work? I found one from a '78 750 triple on Ebay. I also have an 18" on a '79 400 I have behind my garage. All disc brakes.

Thanks for responses.

Attachments

• 20180616_113313.jpg
    20180616_113313.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 163
I didnt look thru the pic well enough. Thought it was a rotor on the other side with no sprocket. Thanks.

But an 18" should not be a problem right?

Going to Ohio Vintage days next month and hope to find something. If it's from a 500 I'll reach out thanks.

Not sure if you're familiar with Empire Cycles on Rt. 20 just north of Orchard Park, but he has a little bike bone yard out back. There's a mag disc 500 there. I know because I put it there, lol. I bought it for $25 a couple years ago, stripped it of anything I thought might be useful, and hauled the rest to that bone yard. I kept the discs, brake caliper mount, and caliper but would pass that on to you if you needed it. But I think you would need to use the 650 stuff anyway.

I thought of trying to adapt the rear wheel but it just seemed like too much work. This was a '77 model and the mags were unpainted and had a natural finish. I thought they looked cool.

ehr1fcd.jpg

1WulbUP.jpg

9Shg0k7.jpg

Back