Warbirds

ah the Mosquito what a concept what a plane.
How on earth did they do it.? .....

Peanut, thanx for sharing. Tragic, that Flight Report is almost like an epitaph.
My father was born same year as yours, all members of the 'Greatest Generation', living through some of the harshest times in human history. Getting war stories out of him was like pulling teeth, and no wonder, some of those stories were quite gruesome...

you are so right 2M . Since I have been caring for him these past 7 years we have heard some most amazing stories of his war years .

Apparently he and his mate were late back to the ship from shore leave on more than one occasion and once missed the ship sailing. They locked him up for a week or so then flew him on to the ships next port of call in a light mail aircraft.

He told us that whilst they were flying along the coast somewhere the Pilot asked if they minded if he had a little fun . There were lots of small fishing boats bobbing about along the shoreline so the Pilot dived the plane and buzzed them at less than 100 feet. !

Naturally the fishermen ,convinced that they were about to be strafed, dived out of their tiny boats into the sea. This provided much amusement to the Pilot and my Father and friend for the duration of the flight back to his ship.:laugh:

Even in wartime there was the occasional opportunity to share a few precious moments of humour

Last edited:
Yesterday a Spitfire flew over my house, this happens on a regular basis with quite a few different war birds from the 2nd world war, those Rolls Royce engines make a lovely noise on full chat.

you lucky devil...funny how its the older NA engines that seem to evoke nostalgia. Modern engines do little for me at all except perhaps the V8 :D.

Great if kinda sad (peanut's post) thread.
I live close to Oshkosh and if you have a single aviation bone in your body an EAA airshow and or visit to the EAA museum should be on your bucket list! Give me a yell if you're going, there's room at the ranch.

Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler

this must be the greatest B-17 story ever. When I first saw the picture I was intrigued to do some research and when I read what had occurred I weeped like a baby .
Even in the midst of war there is sometimes a little humanity.

Reguarding post#16. I used to know the A-10A very well because it was the last plane I was a crew cheif on before retireing in '96. Wonderfull aircraft to work on. I see them daily because I live near Davis-Monthan AFB where A-10 pilots are trained. Or were. Great plane. They were Upgraded to A-10C a few years back. Improved avionics suite. Retire the A-10? Better fine another airframe to carry the GAU-8, 30mm gun first. Ask any ground pounder it's saved or whoever has been on the recieveing end of it first if it's an outdated" weapon.

thats the most incredible experience... thank you for posting 2M :thumbsup:

fuck me indeed !....:laugh2:
brilliant ....I had seen that first vid before but had forgotten it. It was great to see it again thanks.
I'll peruse the rest over a coffee when i get back from my constitutional walk (groan.)
cheers 2M

No video's but you may be interested the full history.. http://www.sonsofdamien.co.uk/mosquito 1.htm .....Beautiful planes
ah the Mosquito...what an amazing plane !

I have several treasured TV Documentaries preserved on my Sky+ box including one of the Mosquito the other the Lancaster Bomber. I never tire of watching them to restore some sanity after all the rubbish we are forced to watch thats broadcast these days as 'entertainment'

Very interesting and comprehensive article thanks for the link

Last edited:
Love the old aeroplanes from that era. Thanks for the pics and video's..
I spent the first 6 or 7 years of my life in the late 60s early 70's living at Laverton in Victoria Australia.
Everyday there were mirages, canberra bombers, wirraways and cariboo's in the sky. The best memories ever.

I'v watched these several times..........4 45min documentaries...........well worth it..........stories from ww2 pilots, original footage and goes through the process (using 4 modern day people), of what it took to train the fighter pilots, using the only tandem seat Spitfire still in operation.

If you haven't seen these peanut i'm sure you will enjoy wasting 3 hours of your life.

I'v watched these several times..........4 45min documentaries...........well worth it..........stories from ww2 pilots, original footage and goes through the process (using 4 modern day people), of what it took to train the fighter pilots, using the only tandem seat Spitfire still in operation.

If you haven't seen these peanut i'm sure you will enjoy wasting 3 hours of your life.

]

Ta very mutchly Skull .................... .I need to waste another 3 hours of my life lol. like I don't waste enough of it already.!:lmao:
I shall enjoy watching these when SWMBO is away house or horse sitting :rolleyes:

Back