Was putting my shifter on and this happened!

cruzin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I finally got my clutch cable and ez clutch perch. I was putting my foot shifter on and I did not spread it apart with screwdriver and push in and wiggled it a bit and the shifter shaft pushed in too far. I had to drain oil and take off right side cover and clutch and put the shifter back under the star part of the shift mechanism.Isnt there something that should hold that shaft from moving too far towards the clutch when installing the foot shifter?

Yes, It should have a C-clip on the shift shaft where it goes into the case. It might even need a washer under the c-clip to take up extra slack.
I would post a pic but don't have one.
If you look on a place like boats.net at the parts breakdowns it will show you the c-clip and where it goes.
Leo

Don't bother shopping eBay for the missing e-clip and washer. People want big, stupid money for them there. The parts are still available right from Yamaha for about $3 each. For the washer, you may be able to use anything that fits, but you do want a washer to stop the e-clip from digging into the oil seal. The e-clip you will probably need to buy.

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-99001-12600-00.html

Just as soon as XSLeo told me that I ordered one from a dealer in grand rapids where I order parts. Ordered both washer and c clip.

I'm surprised they didn't have the clip. It's widely used on many models almost up to the present day.

Maybe it's still in that "leftover parts" bag, lol.

Back