Way Past Due Build

Sure. You could notch that, and weld a mount/tube into the notch. Or, fab a U-shaped bracket with threaded ends (for the tank's ears), and weld the bracket in there.

FYI, I've hard-mounted tanks, but hard-mounting a tank on a buzzy XS650 made too much noise for my liking.
Might consider some way to rubber-isolate it...

I have kind of ran into a slump. Need to get my rear tire mounted. Not sure if I should shell out the $30 to have it done or buy the spoons and trying it myself. I don't want to mess up the power anymore than I already have though...

I need a spacer machined down for the rear axle. The wheels I am using are off of a CL350, so the rear axle is a smaller diameter than the axle plates on the frame. Need to have them machined down so they are flush with the axle plates.

LuQ8rge.jpg

I also had one of the gears in my angle grinder shatter, crazy. So I am waiting on the replacement to continue cutting and grinding for the tank mount.

kAHbP0t.jpg

I am feeling a little uneasy about being done in time for the August build-off deadline. I figured if I had all welding done and the frame powder coated by June 1, I would be in good shape to get motor and electrical finished up by August. Hope to get some serious work done in the next few weeks.

...I need a spacer machined down for the rear axle. The wheels I am using are off of a CL350, so the rear axle is a smaller diameter than the axle plates on the frame. Need to have them machined down so they are flush with the axle plates...

You'll want them a little less than flush, so that the axle stuff clamps onto the plates...

I'd go without the lip.

But, if the plates are thin, and the axle adjusters are wide, the width of the lip could be used to make up the missing thickness. And, the lip diameter would need to be sufficiently large to ensure good clamping grip on the plates.

Whichever way you go, the axle needs to be long enuff to go thru everything and still have a full axle-nut's width of exposed thread, enuff to use the cotter pin...

The axle is the exact same length as a XS, so I am good there.

I was planning on using the axle adjusters from the 350. They are a little bit thinner than the thickness of the axle plates, but I think I can make them work.

pay the $30 to get the tire mounted and balanced. i absolutely hate fighting tires. especially pulling off 30 year old tires that are as hard as a rock.

Back