weird engine sounds

huey224

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
the starter sounds horrible and the engine whines and gets louder as you accel any suggestions?

something you may want to try. rotate the engine with a wrench at the alternator, ignition OFF, and listen for the starter motor turning. if you hear the starter motor turning look into the gears behind the clutch assembly.

have you tried kick starting it ? does it still make the same noise ? if it does then it can't be the starter not disingaging

well thats progress of sorts as it would suggest that it is not the starter motor failing to disingage so we need to look elsewhere .

If it were my bike I'd use a stephoscope or a long screwdriver to my ear and see if I could pinpoint the rubbing noise to at least the top or bottom , front or rear half of the engine which would narrow down the source of the problem :wink2:

Would'nt hurt to drain the oil and see if there is any metal in the sump then maybe remove the starter motor and covers

Ok, I hate to bring an old thread back to life, but none of the engine noise/whine threads ever get finished... My bike is making the same noise (not cam chain guides, already tore engine down and checked them,) and I was wondering if you ever figured it out or just burned/sold the bike out of frustration. I am trying to gather as much info as I can without posting a new thread since everyone gets upset and tells you to search before posting. Update?

Back