Weirdest headlight issue ever

Splexin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I replaced my headlight bulb several months ago and all has been well until recently.

The regular/daylight bulb stopped shining, but my brights work fine. Thinking maybe the dim bulb went out, I connected a good lighting reserve unit to see if it would switch. Nothing.

Thinking it could be charging issue I checked, charging just fine. Again, brights work fine and don't even noticeably dim when blinker, brake etc are turned on. Engine power is normal too.

Following the charging system lead I took out my "normal" safety relay and put in a bypassed version. The regular headlight now works however it is extremely dim and if I press brake or turn on blinker it dims out completely. Brights still work as normal.

Ideas? Just a loose wire? Poorly bypassed safety relay and bad other safety relay?

thats a good one
is possible for the low side to burn out but still wouldnt work by bypassing anything
hopefully some comes along to help you

Have you actually checked the headlight. The low beam may be out. The RLU is supposed the light the high beam at a reduced output when the low beam blows. You may have some other problem between the headlight and RLU.
As in a wire is chafed in the headlight bucket. I would start by checking the headlight.
Leo

Yeah I'm thinking a wire might be loose in headlamp, so that's where I'm checking next.

If it's not that then I would guess it's the safety relay? Cause low beam works with bypassed version but doesn't work with non-bypassed (I have two). I know RLU isn't the problem as the problem persists regardless if I use bypassed RLU or regular RLU (I have two of those too).

Oh well I'm jumping ahead of myself, need to check wires first! lol

That happened to me before but in a different way... When I bought my bike the right front signal lamp wasbroken(the bulb socket was missing. When I was riding, the headlight would be dim and the brights barely there, the speedo light would also go out. When I got the new signal lamp from Mikesxs and installed it, the connection from the lamp to the harness was loose and causing the failure. I wrapped electrical tapes around it until it stopped dimming out on me and it was fine until mid december-now I am going to use solder on it. Hope that helped.
-Jish

Think I fixed it :thumbsup:

The wires were fine but the socket that connects to the bulb needed adjusting. For whatever reason it doesn't fit very snugly (fault of the bulb, not the plug). Guess I'll just have to monitor it :shrug:

Thanks for all suggestions

Back