Welding for choppers

I stick weld. I've been a Union Ironworker for 30+ years. We built America and did it with the help of stick welders (among other things). All your bridges and high rises ...... stick welded. I'll admit, I'm ready to buy a mig or tig - but then I think - is it all hype? A good welder can weld anything anywhere with any machine. It's not the machine, it's the guy.

Hard to weld without any machine though...

I like to use 3 truck batteries !! lol Works great if you have them kicking around! Join all three starting with neg from first batt to pos of the second, neg from the second to the pos of the third then(this is where the magic happens)lol Use Jumper cables for this last step! neg from third battery to part to be welded and postive from first battery will hold stick then just weld away! When money is tight welds alright!!:wink2:

my Dad told me when he was a kid (he's 76 now) he made some kind of a welder out of an old iron. (clothes iron) and used wire clothes hanger as filler rod. lol, I can't even imagine trying that.

I like to use 3 truck batteries !! lol Works great if you have them kicking around! Join all three starting with neg from first batt to pos of the second, neg from the second to the pos of the third then(this is where the magic happens)lol Use Jumper cables for this last step! neg from third battery to part to be welded and postive from first battery will hold stick then just weld away! When money is tight welds alright!!:wink2:

well I guess I stand corrected then lol

I have an old Lincoln AC buzz box that collecting dust since I grab a little 180 amps mig pak... I also own an Everlast 200amps DC tig unit... it's cheap but it make me really happy.

Mig is what I used the most. It's easy to learn, fast, you can do anything, grab a gaz bottle for cleaner jobs and sheet.... but... since I have my tig, welding is like making an artwork everytime... is so precise and puddle control is perfect when you start getting the hand... but it slower, you definetly need more prep for your work... and a little bit more pratice before heading for your main project, but not that much!

Mig it's the way to start in welding for a hobbist like me imho! Look for a 220v unit if you have access to this juice and infinit adjustment on the amps and feeding speed knobs. This is my only regret for my Mig pak.. it's preset settings and it sucks!!

I recently picked up a Lincoln Mig 180 for a good deal, and am taking a 6 hour intro course at a local college next weekend. Just need to pick up a bottle of C25 for the welder.

Won't be spending a ton of time in the garage till it warms up, but I'm looking forward to being able to tack a few things onto my trailer and maybe do some fender mounts etc. on my less-important SR500 project.

For my Voodoo Vintage MK4 frame, I'll be taking it and the various brackets it needs to my professional TIG welder.

Back