Welding questions

TXbobber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm new to welding and I don't know where to start. I've messed around a little here and there, but I'm still new to it.

I'm interested in getting a machine that isn't too very expensive ($500 or less) possibly something I could find on craigslist. I want something that could make strong welds and something that will give me room to improve.

Through my research I've seen that mig welders are the cheapest route but, I'm wondering if I were to get a machine that plugged into the wall would it run up my electric bill?

Don't know about the electric bill, but from what I've read on the topic...stick with the name brands. I'm taking a basic welding class at the tech college and learning a lot. There are several topics on this in the general discussion area if you search.

hi i,d stick with a reasonable brand or ask some well known member which brand they use... mig is the way.. and easier to use... you can hire a 1/2 bottle of gas cheap or go for the full size... . i,m in aust... and i also have a 1&3 ticket .. which is plate and pipe ..as i did alot of labour hire contracting and refinery work.. and use an auto lense in your mask.. makes it alot easier regards oldbiker

Alright. I know MIG welds aren't as strong at TIG welds, but with a lot of practice could they be close? (for possibly welding up a frame)

I'm wanting to weld mostly exhaust and maybe gas tanks (I'll leave the frame work to the pros). Would a MIG welder be suitable for doing this?

Alright. I know MIG welds aren't as strong at TIG welds, but with a lot of practice could they be close? (for possibly welding up a frame)

I'm wanting to weld mostly exhaust and maybe gas tanks (I'll leave the frame work to the pros). Would a MIG welder be suitable for doing this?
Hi TX, Mig is fine for frames and makes very strong welds when done right. For pipes and tank work Tig is the way to go because of the control you have. The steel is thinner for those items so control of heat becomes critical. As far as cost to run, I do a fair amount of welding and you could put wings on my meter :laugh: The majority of my welding is only at 65-80 amps, when run higher the bills go up for electicity and gas. I use Miller and Lincoln welders, both are great products. Good luck and most of all have fun :thumbsup:

I've been welding for almost 40 years. MIG welds are just as strong as TIG if done properly, and poorly done TIG welds are prone to cracking, so you need to know what you're doing, and practice a lot. I've welded race cars together with gas, MIG, TIG and stick welders, all very successfully and never had a weld failure on the track.
For the home/hobby welder, MIG is a good choice, just practice a lot before doing anything structural.

Good luck,

DLD1

hi you could look at the MOST popular brand of mig LOWES or somebody like them sell and likey you could get a better deal.. ... but don,t think cheap because most time they are shit....regards oldbiker

Back