Well Hell Reresto'd

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
You may recall that early last June a buddy of mine dropped the 77' D resto in a too tight curve. The last couple of months have been spent bringing her back to life. As you can see, we've strayed a bit further from the stock appearance and managed to do a few things that I'd been wanting to try anyway.

We had a discussion here about color and a number of options were considered. In the end I decided to go with a brassy red metallic from Ford. It keeps the general look of the original and, to my eye, compliments the gold metallic in the decals.

Since stock was not the way this was going to go we decided to change a number of items. Indicators, front fender, tail light, headlight stays, mirrors, chain guard and a few other bits went to the aftermarket.

ggggary supplied a fuel tank, foot peg, speedo bucket and good counsel. Thanks Gary!

In the accident the bars went hard left, snapped off the steering stop and the fork got into the tank, killing it. The steering stem and triple tree were rebuilt and new bearings installed. We're still tuning a bit to get the same light feel she had before.

Here are a few pics. Hope you approve.

roy

Attachments

• more resto resto 002.jpg
    more resto resto 002.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 295
  • more resto resto 010.jpg
    more resto resto 010.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 273
  • more resto resto 013.jpg
    more resto resto 013.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 309
  • more resto resto 015.jpg
    more resto resto 015.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 295
  • more resto resto 017.jpg
    more resto resto 017.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 265
  • more resto resto 018.jpg
    more resto resto 018.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 250
Very nice, good job. I still don't get why Yamaha morphed these models into the specials.

Hi figure8,
yeah, gorgeous, ain't it?
But why morph to a Special?
"Nobody ever went wrong underestimating the bad taste of the American consumer."
Because they'd stopped making Standards by then I had to buy my '84 XS650 despite it being a Heritage Special with a teensy little gas tank and ergonomically disastrous handlebars. At least I easily swapped out those "features" for the equivalent parts off a Standard although the over-raked rear shocks & humpy seat are still with me.

Hi Fiqure8
Love what you have done , nice additions to make it look sleek.....I like to low hung pipes as the third pic angle makes it look like an XS1B brother .Are they Dunstall replicas ??

That is inspiring to see. Like the front fender and the changed indicator lights and everything.

Hi Roy , apologies required, I was so impressed your bike I miss read and replied calling you Figure 8 .....any way nice job you have done on the bike ...I like the Fork/ buckets ears ...can I ask where you acquired them from ?

Cheers Ron

Back