Went on a ride today... R6 crash

Travis

Forum Staff
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I went on a group ride today with 9 other people. Everyone else was on sportbikes and I had my FZ1. It was hot as hell and humid. Having all black gear didn't help. All went well except one guy on an R6 was taking a corner pretty hard and hit a long tar strip and went down. He lowsided into the ditch and was okay. Just some scrapes on his side and back. The bike is scratched up on the right side and slid into the ditch backward causing the muffler to become packed with mud. Someone used a stick to clear a hole to get it started again. The bad part about the whole thing is the bike isn't his! He's an experienced rider that just had some bad luck. Just thought I'd share the pic and remind people to watch out those tar strips running parallel to the road, especially on hot days when they are soft!

Attachments

• r6crash.jpg
    r6crash.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 275
weak. least he's ok. I'm sure the owner will be ok, as long as guy that crashed fixes it. Even though it wasnt his fault, he still was/is responsible.
No need for insurance to get involved I hope it can be settled between friends.
Happened to me once. I borowed A dirt bike, wiped out on a corner, folded the bars, busted the cltch lever, and other small parts. I baught all replacement parts, and two years later, still not fixed. turns out it was his cousins that never rode it,I offered to fix it for freee(ofcourse) he said no,. I offered to buy the bike, but wasnt willing to let it go for less than a grand.
Hope this turned out well, at least he got it started again, didnt have to ride bitch home.
Oh, yeah, those fukkers are slick as snot in the rain too!!

Looks like it didn't come out too bad. It's good to know the rider is ok. I know what you mean about the weather, too. I stayed inside most of the day only put a few miles on the XS.

Yeah it wasn't all that dramatic.. He crashed, someone helped him pick up the bike, then he swore a little, and the rest of the group came back to see what was up. Someone used a stick to clear out the mud and we were on our way.. We were probably on the side of the road for not more than 3 minutes.

I'm sure he'll do the right thing and pay for the parts and fix it, and he'll be okay. It could have been a lot worse!

I hear ya re. the tar strips, Travis. Roads around here have been bad since late May. Our county and township officials have shown real initiative in keeping public money flowing to their good buddies in the construction biz. The work is done by private sector contractors, and they'll oil the roads early and lay down a thin layer of rock without rolling it. Most of the rock gets washed and knocked off the pavement, of course, so when the wet oil starts to get nasty they rock the roads again, then again, then again, several times a season; they get to bill a lot more labor and material that way than if they put down a good layer of rock and rolled it in at the git-go. The last stuff they laid down on my road was a fine grit, about the same texture as Oil Dry, very nasty to ride on.

They "resurface" the roads around here the same way.. except they put so much rock on the first time that it pretty much sticks and the rest washes into the gutters or ditch. It's like driving on gravel for a couple of months, but then it's not so bad. :shrug:

"Dress to slide; not to ride" (I don't always follow that advice myself, especially when it's too hot for anything but T-shirt & shorts.)

All this crashing going on lately is not leaving me with a warm fuzzy feeling :( glad he is ok as well as Crab_Cake in the other post.

i agree mrkil. i am too much of a worrier that i would worry myself metal side up! it is a good story though. thanks for the reminder.

No matter how hot it is, wearing protective gear is much less uncomfortable than growing new skin.

Back